Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft .net framework 3.5 Windows Features Won't turn on

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CLattmann

CLattmann

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium (SP1) on a fairly new machine. I ran malware and McAfee scans which were all clean. I also ran Aaron Stebner's .NET Framework setup verification tool (which was clean as well). I have been using a software program that uses "Microsoft .net 3.5". We have been having some issues with the program and were advised to turn on the following Windows features:

Control Panel>Programs>Windows Features>Microsoft .Net 3.5>two checkmarks below this

I have repeatedly checked these, tow at a time, one at a time, etc and the system will give me a "wait message", state that all of the features could not be started and request a re-boot. Upon a re-boot, neither of these features are checked.

I have also attempted to re-install 3.5 (and the program itself). We have been unable to re-install 3.5 (it appears to start but just disappears without any confirmation whatsoever). When I look in programs I have Microsoft .Net 4.0, which apparently is the "parent" of 3.5

I have also entirely removed both McAfee & Malwarebytes thinking these may have been blocking us, all to no avail, does anybody have any ideas?

Thank you anybody in advance!

Oh, by the way, system restore is also failing!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,290 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:39 PM

The Stebner tool...is for removing all versions of NET Framework. It does not do anything else.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/kbarticle.aspx?id=318785

I would use Mr. Stebner's tool...or simply go to Add/Remove Programs and uninstall each Framework install in reverse order (most current first)...then install Framework 3.5, SP1, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150 . Note: If using Add/Remove Programs, do not bother with any critical updates which may have been made to a given version...just uninstall NET Framework 4.0 and NET Framework 3.5 (if installed).

IF you want/need to reinstall NET 4.0, http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17718 .

I've never had to do anything to "set up" any version of NET on any of my systems...it just installs. Well, I believe a reboot of the system is necessary but I don't consider that a setup procedure.

Louis

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:15 PM

For Windows 7, it includes the .NET Framework 3.5.1 as an OS component.
This means you will get the .NET Framework 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 plus a few post 3.5 SP1 bug fixes.

From M/soft -
This means that unless you removed it, the .NET Framework 3.5 is automatically installed -

Thank You -

#4 CLattmann

CLattmann
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I opted to uninstall NET Framework 4.0 (both that were in the program listings) which went off without a hitch. "The Hitch" came when I downloaded from the link Hamluis provided: http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=25150, the file downloaded but I received a message that it didn't install correctly!

I presume that if 3.5 is, in fact, part of the Windows 7 operating system it doesn't want to redundantly re-install (although wouldn't it tell me that?). I'm back to Square One!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users