Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Can't Get Sound Back On My Windows XP?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:08 AM

I've reformatted my computer recently, and have everything running smoothly again except for the fact that there is no sound on my computer. I've tried to install the audio driver from the disc that I got everything else from, but every time I try to install it, I get a message saying that the software can't be run. I've also tried going to the driver manager and clicking where a yellow question mark is, then tried to click "reinstall driver" but then I get a message saying the computer can't find the necessary software to install. How do I get the sound back? The computer is a Dell Dimension 3000.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Copy the service tag code from your dell computer and go to dell and download the current sound card driver for your system.

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19/DriversHome/NeedProductSelection

#3 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:22 AM

I've tried downloading one straight from dell, but I still got the same result? I meant to put that in my first post, sorry I missed that.

#4 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:25 AM

Did you get the driver for your computer and your service tag.

#5 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yeah, I entered my service tag and had the right computer and all. I didn't actually see anything that mentioned an audio driver, but I had downloaded what I thought was the closest thing. Maybe that was my problem?

#6 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:08 PM

These are all the options that come up for my specific service tag and what it says it applies to:

Dell-Application (applies to Dell Reset Tool)

Conexant-Application (applies to D850 56K V.9X PCI DF Modem ULD and 56K V.9x DFVc Modem)

Conexant-Diagnostics Utility (applies to 56K V.9x DFVc Modem)

Conexant-Driver (applies to D850 56K V.9X PCI DF Modem ULD and 56K V.9x DFVc Modem)

Dell-Diagnostics Utility (Applies to 32 Bit Diagnostics (Graphical User Interface version))

Intel-Driver (applies to® PRO/100 VE Network Connection)

Intel-Diagnostics Utility (applies to ® PRO/100 VE Network Connection)

NEC-Firmware (applies to ND-3530A HH 16X DVD+/-RW)

Dell-Utility (applies to Desktop System Software)

Intel-Driver (applies to 82865G Graphics Controller)

That's all it lists for my service tag. Are any of those the audio driver?

#7 mainer21

mainer21

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 12:44 PM

No. Your audio driver is not listed. Try this.
How To Find Unknown Device Drivers By Their Vendor & Device ID

The Manual Way from the Device Manager.
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-find-unknown-device-drivers-by-their-vendor-device-id/

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:09:50 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:16 PM

Driver page for Dell Dimension 3000

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/19

Click Audio.

#9 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:50 PM

I went back to dell and entered my service tag, but instead I clicked where it said "other drivers" and was able to find an audio file. Downloaded it and it seems to be working perfectly now!

#10 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:31 PM

I'm glad you got your sound back. Thank you for letting us know the issue is resolved.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users