Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Login Screen does not appear.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Akex2388

Akex2388

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:47 AM

Hello. I have a computer that won't display the login screen after the splash screen goes through. I have read that registry errors and sometimes even Startup programs can be to blame. I being cautious with the registry because I don't just want to delete something, then have the system go nuts. I really like the list of startup programs on this site and what to do with them. However it still did not fix the problem.

There should definitely be something in the registry causing it, so if anyone has a suggestion to fixing something in the registry, let me know. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

Hi -
Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Someone will check the results of this brief scan for you :busy:

Thank You -

#3 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 02:29 AM

Have you tried booting to safemode and check the difference? Can you boot to BIOS utility and run a diagnostic drive test if available? What changes you've made before the problem?

Tekken

#4 Akex2388

Akex2388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

I have booted into safe mode fine. Before that though, I ran the diagnostics and I get these results:

Drive 0: WDC WD800JD - 75MSA3 - Pass

Drives 1 and 3 were empty, while drive 2 has the CD drive which doesn't support diagnostics anyway.

I unchecked programs in the startup list which I looked them up here and found great help for. It however still didn't fix the problem.

noknojon, I tried that MiniToolBox. Saved it to the desktop, checked off the options you listed and saved the results which I have attached here. Hope things work out! Thanks for the tips.

Attached Files

#5 Akex2388

Akex2388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:09 PM

Thought I'd point out that the machine is a Dell Optiplex GX520. Has anyone ever heard of possibly driver issues with that machine?

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:08 PM

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx520/en/ug/index.htm, which model do you have?

Did you have any previous problem logging into Windows?

Louis

#7 Akex2388

Akex2388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

It is a mini tower. The only problem is that after the splash screen, I get a quick blue screen for a millisecond (not the blue screen of death), then it all goes black. I have to power down the computer to get it going again.

I'm able to boot into safe mode without any problems however.

Does anyone know what my results of the MiniToolBox scan entail? I have it attached above.

I still can't figure out why XP won't start NORMALLY. Should I just back up everything and reinstall XP?

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,754 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Worth reading, re your Event Viewer errors: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/Forefrontclientsetup/thread/7fcf5afe-5f98-4321-b2d3-c5fe2c3212f8 .

You can get more insight into Event Viewer errors...by using www.eventid.net and doing queries on the Event ID and Source. Or...just use Google and use the Event ID and Source as search string. It seems to always bring up the www.eventid.net results, among others.

Louis

#9 Akex2388

Akex2388
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:58 PM

I can't find anything useful on eventid.net! They provide a little info on some things, but I hate that a subscription is required to see more info of certain events.

As I look in the event viewer, I don't see anything related to the black screen after the splash screen. Could there be just something simply hidden from it? Sorry if that's a stupid question, but I just have no idea.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users