Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Crypto Files

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:59 AM

I've searched the web, I've tried to search these forums, to find out if I need all these Microsoft Crypto files that appeared some time ago, and I'm becoming greatly frustrated.

I've learned they're used by the "Micosoft Cryptographic Service" or Cryptography providers and I've not seen one single post that tells me if -I- need them on my XP Home PC, what might have created them, and can I delete them.

I'm amazed at my inability to find a straightforward answer, my search-fu is often fairly good.

If anyone could please point me in the direction of my answer I would appreciate it.

Also, I could not find an option to search these forums for a keyword in the title, am new here so apologies for that!

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:46 AM

It helps...if you tell us just what files you are talking about.

<<all these Microsoft Crypto files>>

That...I don't consider very descriptive. The file names and paths would be more useful, IMO.

I would also suggest that you should be careful about what data you read on the Web...and assume that the writer knows what he/she is talking about when it comes to deletion/removal of system files (if that is what you are referring to).

Louis

#3 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

Louis, I very much agree with your warning, and I guess I fe3lt the file types and paths would be obvious to anyone who knew the question.

An example of the files I'm referring to are in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Crypto\RSA\MachineKeys\

There are currently 3,514 files each seem to be about 921 bytes and have long lettered names. As best as I can determine these are supposed to be some sort of cryptography keys.

Even if they are, there are 3.500 of them. I only have 3 users (all me) on my PC.

I'm trying to find out how they got there, and what happens if I delete them.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:07 PM

Take a look here: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962112.aspx

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 Casual Brouser

Casual Brouser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:20 PM

Thank you for your response. At first glance that link tells me about how and when to backup "private keys" but I still have no idea what "private keys" are and what a CSP is and why one would be operating on my computer.

I did in fact find that one of my applications is causing these files to appear and stay permanently, and I am asking their technical support team for further information.

I know what a key is technically, its file type, size, locations, etc., and I know that have something to do with sercurity, but I have no clue whatsoever where and when a so-called "CSP" is involved, and why, and I am shocked to find no useful information anywhere except involving IIS.

I wonder if the problem is that very few people, if any, know....

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,905 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:38 PM

More on what a CSP is: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc962093.aspx

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users