Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP dc7600sff - cannot load drivers

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Owbist

Owbist

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:26 AM

HP dc7600sff computer came from an auction wiped clean. I installed XP Pro SP3 and all updates plus MSE and activated.

My problem is that I cannot install the needed drivers (which are already downloaded), the message "Cannot instal drivers. No Intel adapters are present" appears every time I try. Googling seems to offer no solution.

To get where I am I installed a third party network card for downloading but that offers no fix for the rest of the Intel drivers. Also it is a full height LAN card butchered to fit the small form factor case, not a permanent fix.

Using a live Puppy Linux CD all original equipment works great so I do not think there are hardware issues.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=1111073&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=472277&swLang=13&taskId=135&swEnvOID=1098

Did you download the correct drivers?

Install the chipset driver first?

Louis

#3 Owbist

Owbist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 08:46 AM

Thank you for replying Louis, yes that was the same site where I downloaded my drivers. I never got the BIOS though fearing that if the BIOS update failed I would be further behind or even have a permanent door stop. Wonder if flashing the BIOS might work?

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

IMO...flashing the BIOS is an action to be considered...only when it's apparent that a BIOS update/flash will enable some (hardware/system) capability that doesn't exist otherwise.

The details for such updates will provide descriptions.

Aside from that, I would never think that a BIOS update would be useful. Of course, I don't have any OEM (HP, Dell, etc.) systems so I don't know why they seem to throw such updates out there for their customers.

The only hardware items that I can think of which might start me thinking about a BIOS update...would be an SSD or a CPU upgrade...and only in circumstances where documentation exists that verifies that such might be necessary/desireable.

Did you run the appropriate diagnonstic on the hard drive...before installing Windows?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c00041380

Louis

#5 Owbist

Owbist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

I felt that way about flashing the BIOS but wondered if smarter minds than mine felt there might be a benefit.

No, I never ran a diagnostic on the hard drive as the drive was blank and there is no recovery partition. I did run an HP diagnostic (Cannot remember where I found it now) and it declared everything was good despite the fact nothing works.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:31 PM

The only obvious thing which I would say could possibly be problematical on a system previously owned...I would automatically replace the CMOS battery since it impacts system recognition/synergy of hardware components.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=472277 , Hardware Reference Guide, Section B.

Louis

#7 Owbist

Owbist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:31 AM

Well I managed to get the chipset installed from the link Louis provided, thanks a bunch. The link provided a page where I was able to download an HP diagnostic different to the one I had used before, it went online and found and installed the needed drivers. But not the LAN card drivers as it was not connected to the net as I was using the third party card.

The Device manager now shows no yellow question marks or exclamation marks except for the onboard LAN card. On removing the third party LAN card and rebooting I tried to install the needed drivers but again met the dreaded "Cannot install drivers. No Intel adapters are present".

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:43 AM

Which set of Intel drivers did you install for network connectivity?

There are two listed...only one should work in your system. Unless you know that you specifically have gigabit capability...you should be trying to install http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodTypeId=12454&prodSeriesId=472277&prodNameId=1111073&swEnvOID=1098&swLang=13&mode=2&taskId=135&swItem=PSG_I23813-109075 .

Louis

#9 Owbist

Owbist
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

THANK YOU LOUIS!!!

Wow, this has been a dreadful few days but thanks to you we are up and running.

After your last link would not install I went to the HP help desk but they wanted $49 and seeing how I had only paid $27 for the computer I passed. however the tech person provided a link to broadcom.com where I downloaded drivers and installed through the Device manager.

A few $$$ on some more memory and we should have a sweet machine here. Thank you again Louis, gratefully appreciate your help.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,560 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:45 PM

Glad you resolved it, although I didn't suggest much.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users