Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Freezes after boot up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bakazero28

bakazero28

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 03:15 AM

Hello, My laptop is continuously freezing after startup. I after booting up and logging in everything will load completely then will often freeze for 10mins to upwards of 50mins, and I will eventually get a Microsoft Explorer error and everything will disappear from my screen leaving up only my wallpaper. And all attempts at bringing up the task manager will not work.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

1) Does it work properly in safe mode?

2) What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

3) Have you run full scans with both your anti virus app and MalwareBytes?

#3 bakazero28

bakazero28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:13 PM

Safe mode runs normally and I dd on't recall having added anything new.I've run both spybot search and destroy and malwarebytes, both with a full scan not detecting anything

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:42 PM

Do you have an anti virus app installed? If so, please run a full system scan with it.

#5 bakazero28

bakazero28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 11:53 PM

Hello again, I have just run eset online virus scanner and everything checks out fine

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:56 AM

1) I strongly suggest you install an anti virus app and keep it resident at all times. If you don't have one installed, I'm still not certain you don't have a malware problem. However...

2) Since it works okay in safe mode let's try a selective startup. Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#7 bakazero28

bakazero28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello again I am currently working on the second point you recommended, for number one I tried using my sophos endpoint security to do a scan on safemode however it just pops up and disappears saying that it is updating, thats why I choose to use the online scanner

#8 bakazero28

bakazero28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:04 PM

Hello again, I have just finished doing the 2nd point that you made, and I have found the program that was causing the freezing, I've disabled it using the services.msc. Is there any further steps that I should be taking after doing this.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:04 AM

If everything is working to your satisfaction I guess you're fine. What was the service?

#10 bakazero28

bakazero28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:15 PM

It was surprisingly Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, also should I be removing this completely?

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,565 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:51 AM

If you're not going to use it (or if it was causing problems) then yes, uninstall it completely.

Then, just to make sure it isn't a malware issue blocking MB from starting I suggest you run a full system scan with your Anti Virus app. Then, either try reinstalling and running MB or try Super AntiSpyware instead.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users