Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Turn On Anti-Virus

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 WillAnd87

WillAnd87

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi, Ok so today i was clearing some data with the Disk Clean Up, almost right after that my computer became extremely slow and unresponsive, I found that my McAfee Security that came free with the laptop was Turned Off and it wont Turn On again. I have tried Installing AVG, running an Rkill that i downloaded last year and have done a System Restore as far back as possible but still my computer becomes unresponsive and wont open any programs unless i'm in safe mode. I'm officially stumped so any and all advice is appreciated. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:10 PM

Hi WillAnd87,

In Safe Mode check to see if the McAfee Security that came free with the system is expired. Sometimes when free anti-virus expires it will lock up a system. Uninstall McAfee from the Add/Remove control panel applet. If uninstalling McAfee is a problem try using this link to download McAfee Consumer Product Removal Tool 5.0.285.0 from a second computer and install and run on the problem computer.

Also, uninstall AVG, if the installation was successful, check for it in the Add/Remove control panel applet as well. Then check to see if your windows firewall is turn on, if not turn it on.

Now check to see if you can open programs in normal desktop.

If your able to get to normal desktop, then download Microsoft Security Essentials from this link Microsoft Security Essentials and install. Windows Firewall should give you enough protection just to go to the Security Essentials web site and download. Don't browse anywhere else until youn install MS Security Essentials.

Let us know how it goes??

Hope this helps.

#3 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:04 PM

This is why you dont do any Disk Clean up.. Prob not a virus just that you cleaned up your HD witch may have been some stuff for the OS to run.. opps.. Lol

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#4 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:06 PM

If your able to get to normal desktop, then download Microsoft Security Essentials from this link Microsoft Security Essentials and install. Windows Firewall should give you enough protection just to go to the Security Essentials web site and download. Don't browse anywhere else until youn install MS Security Essentials.

Let us know how it goes??

Hope this helps.

LOL!! Are you really being serious?? Dont download that bleepe.. if anything.. download Malwarebtyes the Trail or Avast! Antivirus 7.. does a lot more that that..

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

#5 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:13 PM

I would suggest following everready's advice.

Tekken

#6 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:42 PM

What I suggest is that Chris Appleyard look at the date the topic was started and the date of the last post before his reply. This topic is from early June. After EVERREADY posted on June 6, the OP did not respond. The issue is probably resolved by now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users