Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Building A Computer

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 compaq_7360

compaq_7360

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:44 AM

I am looking into building my first computer. I allready have a ballpark idea as to what i want, but how do i know the parts i want are all capatible, or is it universal?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 02:37 AM

A couple of links to check out:
Build Easy PC
Build Your Own PC
Build Your Own
So, you want to build your own computer ~ Suggestions for PC construction
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

ok, i looked into what i want. if im not mistaken, as long as everything is atx, it should all match up? i will have to load an opperating system onto it also, correct? and if so, how do i go about doing that? if i buy a barebone kit, what will i run into there? will it come with all the ribbon cables and everything to put it together out of the box, or will i have to buy more?

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:18 AM

You should make a list of the items you m=want to install aand let use help you make plan for putting them together. Some motherboard come with all the cables and connector and other come bare. A bare bones system it not an exzsact term. Different retailer include different items in the "Bare Bones Systems". Best thing there is to email them and ask what you will get, or if it is local drive down and look at it. You will have to purchase the operating system. Spend the extra dollars and purchase XP Professional. It is worth it.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 KermitD

KermitD

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 PM

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:08 PM

I knew a man who bought a house which had only the outside finished. He saved a lot of money by doing the inside himself. hung the drywall - all that. He lived in his basement for two years. But if you're determined to go barebones, first, you might want to take a look at TigerDirect. They offer barebones packages (or kits) which include the case, power supply, motherboard, and MPU, all of which are compatable with each other. The motherboard has the bios loaded. The cables are all included. Some come with a modem or network card. You still need a Monitor, Hard Drive, RAM, a CD or DVD recorder and an operation system. You get to put it all together, Format the HD and install the OS.

Quite frankly, for all the work you are going to have to go through you can probably buy a computer with most of what you need less than $500.00. I went barebones once. It was a great experience. I'll never do it again.
KermitD
Choices have consequences.

#6 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 04:29 AM

my personal advice on building your first PC. don't skimp on the case. you don't have to buy the most expensive case. but try to buy one that is ergonomically correct and not that small. also alot of first timers skimp the power supply because they underestimate its importance. don't forget a good fan for your CPU and at least one other exhaust fan. if you are gaming don't buy motherborad with intergrated video. the list goes on and on. this is just my advice...there are tons of websites that will help you. just like the ones listed above.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#7 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:38 PM

yea, im getting it from tiger direct. i will reply with the link to the kit im looking at

#8 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:40 PM

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/Se...u=B450-2107%20A

#9 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2006 - 03:43 AM

well that should set you up with a pretty nice rig. biostar motherboards are good. i have always had good luck with them. i would probably get a diff. power supply. and if you get a sata hard drive dont forget to buy a cable, because most motherboards only ship with the IDE cables. and most hard drives dont come with any at all.
Win XP Pro, Windows 7, Ubuntu. AMD Athlon X2 5600+ 4x1GB DDR2800, 500 GB SATA, Geforce 8500GT.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#10 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:59 PM

the ribbon cables?

then how do i go about installing the os?

#11 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:46 AM

Yes most motherboards come with the Ribbon(IDE) cables, but be sure and check. but if you buy a SATA drive you dont use ribbon cables you have to buy a special one.
the OS you will have to buy. after you get everything set up right turn on your pc, go into the bios and make sure the boot order is set. it should have to cd-rom drive before your harddrive. then put in your windows disk, reboot and follow the directions. make sure you set up the partitoin to NTFS.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#12 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:50 PM

sounds easy enough! is there any way i could mess up, and if there is, how bad, and how easy to fix?

#13 AMD010

AMD010

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 02:37 PM

well that is a pretty broad question. as long as you take your time, be observent, and follow the instructions you should be ok. dont make a stupid mistake like bending a pin on the cpu, or rip the end off a ribbon cable, your something. it is also a good idea to ground yourself and the computer when working on the inside, expecialy the cpu. and dont use any magnetic screw drivers. all though i have never heard of and magnetic screw driving hurting something. but i have seen a subwoofer destroy a computer once.

MCTS, A+, Net+.

Posted Image
Fight Spam! Click Here!

#14 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 05:17 PM

what do u mean ground myelf and the computer

#15 welco

welco

• Members
  • 130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:32 PM

You grab onto the case to discharge any built-up static electricity you might have. Generally, zapping your parts won't kill them, but it will really shorten the lifespan of them.
AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice
1GB GeIL Value Memory Looking for something better...
EPoX EP-9NPAJ
Hitachi 7K80
Jaton 6600GT
400W HiPRO

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users