Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 compaq_7360

compaq_7360

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:14 AM

I have 2 compaq 7360 desktop towers. They are both running on windows 98 edition 2. One of them won't boot up. I have been guess and checking all day to try to find the problem. They both were running excellent yesterday, and when I tried to boot this one up this morning, nothing happened. I tried dissconnecting the hard drive on the one that boots up to see if it would do the same thing, and it started to boot up. The light on the monitor stays yellow. I had a problem like this before, so I just took every thing out, dusted it off, and put it back in, and it booted right up with no problem. I TRIED THAT!!!! NOTHING!!!! The hard drive works, both lights on the front stay on, both sticks of ram are secure, fan spins on top of processor, mouse lights up, keyboard lights come on, cd-rom drive and cd-rw drive both have power and read. Im really getting aggrivated, because i was getting ready to buy some upgrades for it this weekend! What could it possibly be?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:38 AM

You video card may have failed. Are you hearing any beeps?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:07 AM

Try swapping monitors. I had a similar problem with one of my computers recently and it turned out that there wasn't enough power going to the ancient monitor or something. If it seems to be booting normally except for the display, then maybe it isn't switching out of power-saving mode.

#4 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:32 PM

i switched monitors, and nothing. no beeps, no nothing. it just runs as if it was allready booted up just sitting there.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

If you have more than one stick of RAM, remove one at a time to rule out memory failure.

#6 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:57 PM

yea, i got a 64mb pc 100 and a 128mb pc 133. which one should i take out? will i be able to put it back in?

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:20 AM

You will need to identify slot 0. That slot has to have a memory stick in it. Printed on the motherboard next to each slot will be Slot 0 Slot 1. Start by pulling Slot 1 memory stick. Boot your computer. If it boots that is the problem. If not replace the stick in Slot 0 with the first stick you removed. If it boots the second stick will have been your problem. If it still does not boot all you will have don't is rule of your memory. We will go from there.

#8 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:02 AM

ok, start me off from scratch, because before i had read ur reply, i had tore everything out of the tower and then i got on and checked it. all that is sitting there is a barebone tower, so what should i put back in it to see if this is the problem?

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 07:06 AM

Just reinsert one stick of RAM is the slot closest to the proccessor. Boot the computer. If it boots that would mean the other stick is bad.
If it still won't boot, take that memory out an install the other stick.
If the second stick does not boot either then that will rule out the RAM.

#10 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 01:51 PM

When I saw this:

The hard drive works, both lights on the front stay on, both sticks of ram are secure, fan spins on top of processor, mouse lights up, keyboard lights come on, cd-rom drive and cd-rw drive both have power and read.

I determined that the problem must be in the monitor or video card. One more question: did you hear the single beep at boot-up? Chances are that the system is booting up but the video isn't going out.

#11 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 02:33 PM

the monitor is fine....im typing this on that monior lol.....so ur saying video card? because i tried the taking ram out thing and nothing

#12 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 11:42 PM

That would be my guess. As I said, if the computer seems to be booting normally, including that single beep from the speaker, and the only thing different is the video, it's likely to be one or the other.

#13 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 04:57 PM

there is no beep!

#14 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 06:48 PM

On the outside chance your BIOS setting have been changed remove you motherboard battery for a few minutes, replace it and boot. This should clear your BIOS and bring you to the default settings. A new battery is only $3 or $4 you may want to take the time, run down, and pick up a new one.

#15 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 07 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

yea, u got a good point, cause i think the battery was allready shot! it would never keep time....it would just run through random times! i was late for work a couple times because of that stupid thing! lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users