Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Preview Release

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:21 AM

I had hoped that the latest offering from MS might be of some interest to desktop users.
No, it is just junk the same as before.
I would think MS are about to have another failure on their hands.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 10:51 AM

I think that Windows 8 on touch, might just prove out to be revolutionary, bringing about the so-called "post-pc" era, if Microsoft ever goes that far. Without touch, however, it'll suck hard and bad. Windows 8 just isn't supposed to be used with a mouse, MS should know that(or maybe they already know?). Use it on a touchscreen(metro), it'll all start making sense.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 AM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:17 AM

I think it will be a new face of Microsoft. It should work fabulous with touch interface. Lets just keep our fingers and wait for its official release.

#4 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Who wants a tablet with windows 8 when you can have an Apple Ipad.A far superior machine

#5 Jack Clarke

Jack Clarke

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Who wants a tablet with windows 8 when you can have an Apple Ipad.A far superior machine

Not at all. The iPad is very simple and offers very little but Apple market it as opening new opportunities because it is so portable. If you can get a Windows 8 tablet with an Intel processor it could be so much more powerful.

#6 johhny

johhny

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

I am not a Windows fan, but i think that Windows 8 has a lot of new touch features that an iPad doesn't have!!
Picture password is a new thing to experiment,channel surfing is faster, swiping feature is more convenient, split screen keyboard with adjustable size is also new and sounds cool...
:cool:

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

I've been thinking about it and maybe Microsoft is going to have a two pronged approach.

Windows 7 for non Touch computers.
Windows 8 for touch capable computers.

That would make sense since I can't see businesses jumping on windows 8!

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:09 PM

I agree, I cannot possibly see a school using windows 8 either.. workstations are for work not distracting weird tiles that are not fluid with a mouse, companies want an OS that will keep people productive, not trying to figure out how to close a window.
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#9 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 09 June 2012 - 05:18 AM

I've been thinking about it and maybe Microsoft is going to have a two pronged approach.

Windows 7 for non Touch computers.
Windows 8 for touch capable computers.

That would make sense since I can't see businesses jumping on windows 8!

I see it this way. They should add an option like - the ability to have metro or desktop as the default interface, to choose, not both. Those who use metro will never ever need desktop, if they do, it's there. Similar with enterprise users.

I say all this because Metro just isn't supposed to be used with a mouse. Mouse doesn't work with it. Simple. As that. :)

Edited by Alvas Rawuther, 09 June 2012 - 05:23 AM.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#10 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:39 PM

I have heard that some people have already downloaded a trial version of Windows 8 ?
no?

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#11 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:58 PM

Hello,

Yes there is a what microsoft is calling a "consumer preview" which you can find here: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/release-preview

Now I must note that in its current state it is at its very best still less than even a Beta, its just a preview as they say, so unless you know exactly what you are doing don't use it.

~Comp :)
animinionsmalltext.gif
If I have replied to a topic and you reply and I haven't gotten back to you within 48 hours (2 days) then send me a P.M.
Some important links: BC Forum Rules | Misplaced Malware Logs | BC Tutorials | BC Downloads |
Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook! | Twitter! | Google+| Come join us on the BleepingComputer Live Chat on Discord too! |

#12 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 AM

Posted 13 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

I'm going to wait for Windows 9; Windows 8 will be to Windows 9 as Windows Vista was to Windows 7.

#13 computerxpds

computerxpds

Bleepin' Comp

• 4,514 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:02 PM

I can see that happening as well.
animinionsmalltext.gif

#14 Philip Brampton

Philip Brampton
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 372 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:52 AM

we now know why W8 was designed for a tablet.
It's going to be very interesting to see how it does against Apple,Samsung,HP,Dell,etc,etc.
It's a long hill to climb,
Watch this space.

#15 DarkSnake-Kobra

DarkSnake-Kobra

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

I'm going to wait for Windows 9; Windows 8 will be to Windows 9 as Windows Vista was to Windows 7.

I agree. I've tried Windows 8 and can't understand how they can get away witih this by complicating everything for the user by drastically changing the Windows experience into something almost entirely different. The thing Windows had going for it was that each release the ui was easy to get use to as it was the same concept, but now without the start menu and this new metro screen and side swiping thing to access the metro apps or whatever is completely different. I really don't think Microsoft will be able to pull this off. Tablets and PC's are not the same thing. You can't combined them. Tablets are made for your finger prints and to interact. PC's are not they are there to do work and get things done. Now the new metro thing sounds like a huge draw back taking longer to get use to and switch back and forth between programs. More then likely they will really lose in the business market as productivity is the top priority. They are not going to want to purchase something like this. But we will have to wait and see how the market will react to this. I don't think it will be pretty though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users