Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Noisy Dell XPS 420

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tally622

tally622

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

Good morning all. I have a Dell XPS 420 that has been noisy for some time now but, aside from occasional issues, runs ok. Lately though, I've had issues with the computer freezing up for long periods of time before responding. Even little things like closing a program cause it. When it happens it sounds like the normal grinding noise that I hear when the computer is processing but it just never stops. Even Task manager cannot shut this down. It even goes on when I have absolutely nothing open and running when it gets into this runaway mode. I've found that by just turning it off with the power button and then starting in safe mode and then restarting again in normal mode is the only way to get it to stop. I'm guessing that the motherboard probably needs replacing but that's a big expense for me to do that and have it not be the issue. I'm hoping that this seems obvious to the experts on here so that I can proceed with some confidence.

Thanks in advance for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:07 AM

Hi tally622,

Was there anything new (software, hardware, malware, error messages) that occurred right before the freezing started?

Software, hardware, malware, or a combination could all contribute to this problem.

Your Dell has onboard diagnostics to check the hardware. Unless you strongly suspect malware, I would start with the hardware diagnostics. Here is your Dell™ XPS™ 420 manual in PDF format.
  • Arrow down to page 87 - Starting Dell Diagnostics From Your Hard Drive.
  • At the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu, select Test System and then Extended test (Note: this could take several hours)
  • If a problem is encountered during a test, a message appears with an error code and a description of the problem. Write down the error code and problem description.
If all hardware passes, we can proceed with other troubleshooting.

Regards,
Brooks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users