Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

duplicate desktop icons that can't be deleted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jtroy

jtroy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:51 PM

I have numerous desktop icons (shortcuts, recycle bin, my documents folder) that I cannot delete. These icons are duplicates of the normal active icons that are either on my desktop or in the taskbar. The "unusable" icons aren't even recognized as being icons (so that if I right click on the desktop and select view and uncheck "show desktop icons", these icons remain). The icons cannot be selected (either right or left clicked), they cannot be moved, they do not highlight when moused over. Any suggestions on how to remove these? I've tried refreshing the desktop, rebooting several times, etc. They do not show up in the desktop folder within c:\users\<your user name>\desktop folder or the public desktop folder either.

Edited by jtroy, 04 June 2012 - 07:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

WHAT are the icons? How and when did they appear?

#3 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:42 AM

Hello jtroy,

Take a look at posts #6 - #8 in the following thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic136490.html/page__view__findpost__p__772318

#4 jtroy

jtroy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:14 AM

Oh wow! Thanks for the info. Somehow - I have no idea how - a theme/image was created and used as the desktop background. The background was essentially a snapshot of the screen. Once I selected a new theme all was normal. Have no idea how this happened, but very easily fixed. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users