Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with RAM usage

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Littlebird85

Littlebird85

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:20 PM

Hi, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and my laptop consistently uses around 3.5G of 4G of RAM with almost no software open. I have run Norton and AVG scans as well as a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which came up with a few things it subsequently isolated. These did not fix the problem.
Just looking for any ideas to find out what is going on, my PC is exceedingly slow!
Cheers

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

1) What types of "things" did it come up with and isolate?
2) MalwareBytes is not a replacement for an anti virus app. Did you also run a scan with your AV?
3) Open task manager to the processes tab to see what is using the ram

#3 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

I ran an AVG scan as well as a Malwarebytes scan. The AVG one came up with no issues, the Malwarebytes one came up with KMS Emulator and some Adware called iBryte, which it dealt with.
I frequently check the processes and there is very little running and nothing I would consider to be abnormal, the combined processes don't add up to anywhere near 3.5gs of RAM used, usually the process that uses the most is Google Chrome at only a few hundred MB's.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:30 AM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 12:52 PM

. I have run Norton and AVG scans

I do understand that they are not both enabled and do you experience certain lags/freezes during this high memory usage?

Tekken

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Yes, sorry - I misread your first post and missed the references to Norton and AVG. You should never have two AV's installed at the same time. If they are, please uninstall one or the other.

#6 Sixtwentyfour

Sixtwentyfour

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:08 PM

Hi, I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium and my laptop consistently uses around 3.5G of 4G of RAM with almost no software open. I have run Norton and AVG scans as well as a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware which came up with a few things it subsequently isolated. These did not fix the problem.
Just looking for any ideas to find out what is going on, my PC is exceedingly slow!
Cheers

I just had a problem like this. Check task manager and make sure you click "view process from all users" and then organize by CPU... for me the highest usage was from "System", and then I downloaded a program called Process Explorer to see exactly what System was doing that was taking so much memory. If you find it is system I suggest posting so here so someone more knowledgeable than I can help, I seem to have fixed mine through dumb luck.

Edited by Sixtwentyfour, 04 June 2012 - 07:08 PM.

#7 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

Yes, sorry - I misread your first post and missed the references to Norton and AVG. You should never have two AV's installed at the same time. If they are, please uninstall one or the other.

Thanks, am I better off with AVG over Norton?

#8 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:23 PM

Cheers

I just had a problem like this. Check task manager and make sure you click "view process from all users" and then organize by CPU... for me the highest usage was from "System", and then I downloaded a program called Process Explorer to see exactly what System was doing that was taking so much memory. If you find it is system I suggest posting so here so someone more knowledgeable than I can help, I seem to have fixed mine through dumb luck.

Thank you! Just discovered that a program called wmpntwrk.exe (windows media playing sharing device) is hogging 2.5g Ram. I have tried to disable/remove this in the past to no avail as I do not use Windows Media Player. I have downloaded a program called Speedy PC Pro which I'm now doing a scan with.

#9 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:52 PM

I'll start another topic on how to get this fixed I think. Thank you for your help

#10 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:30 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:57 PM

I have downloaded a program called Speedy PC Pro which I'm now doing a scan with.

Bad idea.
Registry cleaners/optimizers are not recommended for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.
  • Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.
  • Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.
  • Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.
  • The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".
Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

================================================================

my laptop consistently uses around 3.5G of 4G of RAM with almost no software open

It's normal in Vista and Seven.
They handle RAM in different way than previous Windows version.
In simple terms Windows will take almost all RAM it can get and cache it for immediate use when needed.
See more info here: http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/2006/09/why-does-vista-use-all-my-memory.html

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#11 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:00 PM

I have downloaded a program called Speedy PC Pro which I'm now doing a scan with.

Bad idea.

Thanks I googled and came to the same conclusion before using the program. Now scratching my head as to how to fix this. Windows Media Player should not be using over half my RAM when I very rarely even use it. My computer is consistently slow and freezes constantly, so I doubt this is normal Windows operation

#12 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:06 PM

If you don't use Windows Media Player for media sharing you can disable that service.
See here: http://www.groovypost.com/howto/groovytip/what-is-wmpnetwk-exe-virusand-is-it-running/

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#13 Littlebird85

Littlebird85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:26 PM

Thank you for the link, it's the only thing that actually worked! It has disabled it. Thanks!

#14 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,716 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:28 PM

Any other issues?

My Website

p4433470.gif

#15 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 06:55 AM

Thanks, am I better off with AVG over Norton?

Whichever you prefer is fine, but by all means uninstall one or the other.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users