Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Computer Is Dying Someone Please Help

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Mark311

Mark311

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:39 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 11:45 PM

My computer is FULLY infected w/ viruses and spyware and so on. There's nothing i need on here so can some one tell me how to just wipe the computer so i can just kinda start over and install Windows again. I have the windows disks and stuff but i don't know how to just wipe it so i can start over thanks for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:39 AM

If you are sure your drive is completely taken over by virus' , I would do a wipe which over writes the data destroying it. There are two programs I recommend. First is Active@KillDisk-Drive Wipe Utility. It will simply wipe the drive clean. Second, and my favorite, is Digtal Dolly (Hard drive utility). I like DD because it is loaded with drive utilities. You can wipe the drive, then partition it how you want it. You can also format in almost a 100 different file types. There is much more but with this one program, which by the way is free, you take care of most of your needs. It does not even require a operating system to boot. It has it's on linux based interface.

Edited by acklan, 01 March 2006 - 12:40 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:16 AM

To reformat the drive, you need a startup disk. That's the floppy you make with Windows. You'll also need your Windows key, which is on the front of the manual that came with Windows. Use that floppy to start the computer and choose CD-Rom support, and you'll get the DOS prompt:

A:\>

Type in:

format C:

. . . and hit enter. That will format the drive. If you follow Acklan's advice and wipe the drive, do that first, before you use the startup disk.

Once formatted, you will need to install Windows. Put the CD in the drive and type:

C:

. . . and hit enter. Now you should have the C:> prompt. Next, type:

setup

. . . and hit enter, and the installation will begin. Follow instructions and type in your key and restart when necessary and Windows will be installed.

Before you go on the internet, you should, at minimum, have an antivirus program installed. You should then get all Windows Updates and install more protection, such as Zone Alarm firewall, Spybot Search and Destroy, Firefox Browser, Ad-Aware Personal, Spyware Blaster, and update your antivirus. I use AVG antivirus, which I keep on a CD along with all the other programs, and highly recommend. Also, once the programs are installed, you should defrag your computer and do so again about once a month.

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:45 PM

You should download the AV and firewall before you reinstall and burn them to CD. That way the first exposure to the internet will be updating your AV.
Expanding on Herk's excellent advise.

#5 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:40 PM

And that's good advice too, Acklan. I keep all my utilities on one disk, and dread the day when they will no longer all fit. :-) And I update them constantly.

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:26 AM

I keep a folder set to burn to CD for users who need the software. I go thru it about once a month to make surre I have the latest software.
Also while we are off the topic at hand but equally as important. You see many members here with registry problems. Back your registry up as soon as your computer is fully install with all updates. I back up my registry once a week even if I don't make changes to my software. It's only over kill if you never need it.

Edited by acklan, 02 March 2006 - 12:26 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users