Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Try to restore laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DadWalters

DadWalters

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:34 PM

I would first like to say I have used these forums before, and have found them extremely helpfull. Thank you to all. I am now trying to repair a Toshiba Satellite laptop for a friend and am having no luck. At startup it simply shows the windows logo and says "sarting windows". I cannot get it to start in safemode either. I have attempted to use a Windows 7 restore disk with no luck. It appears to just freeze at startup. Please keep in mind, I am far from an expert and a, working on this for someone else trying to help them out when money is tight, so I would like to keep this cheap if at all possible. Thanks again.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:18 PM

Hi DadWalters

From what little you described, the system makes it through the POST but is hanging up while Windows is trying to load. Please provide the Toshiba Satellite model number and any additional info you have on it in the next reply. Also, what was new or different since the last time everything worked properly. That will let us know what were are up against.

In order to get to the advanced menu options, you should start tapping the F8 key right when Windows starts, usually right after the computer shows you all the equipment , memory, etc installed on your computer, if you start lightly tapping the F8 key you will usually be able to get to the advance menu options. If it doesn't work the first time try a second or a third time.

If you can get to Advance Menu Options, select Last Known Good Configuration, and see if that gets you to a Desktop. If not boot back to Advanced Menu Options and try selecting Repair your computer if available. If you can get to the Advance Menu Options then post your status in as much detail as possible. You can do a lot from Safe Mode to repair a computer.

If you can't get to Advance Menu Options, insert a know good Windows 7 rescue or installation disk in the CD drive and reboot. Tap F12 as the system goes through the POST, and you should get a Boot Menu. Select the CD drive and system should boot up from the CD. If the system will not boot off the CD, then the CD is not a good boot disk, or the laptops got a hardware problem.

Let us know , in detail, how it goes.

Hope this helps

#3 DadWalters

DadWalters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Thanks for replying quickly. The laptop is a toshiba satelitte L645D-S4025. Since I am working on it for someone else, I really can't say what has changed or what it was like before. Sorry. I have been able to get to the advanced menu options, but when I select start in safemode, it starts to load and then just frezes up. I let it try and load up for more than an hour with noe luck. It loads a few of the files and then says please wait. I have attempted the repair option as well, again it freezes up and says please wait. Again I waited for a over an hour and nothing. I got it to boot to my recovery/restore disk and it did a startup repair and scan with no luck. What ever I do to to PC it seems to lock up and sit there. I can hear the hard drive spin and the fan run, but other than that not much. When I try to run a normal start up, it gets to the Wondows logo and freezes up. Whenever I do get something to run, it is extremely slow. i.e., when I did get the recovery/restore disk to boot, it took well over 12 hours run the scan and say it had finished the repairs, but (again) no luck. Sorry I can't be more helpfull with info, but I am almost at a loss.

#4 everready

everready

• Members
  • 124 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:27 AM

Hi DadWalters,

I did not see where you tried to Use the Last known good configuration option in Advance Menu Options. Did you try that option?

According to the specification for the laptop, it has two memory modules. Let's try removing just one of memory modules and see if we can get to desktop or safe mode. According to the Toshiba Satellite L640/L650 Series User's Guide the bottom memory slot is slot A. This is the slot that has to have a memory module inserted in order to boot. So , pull out the memory module in slot B ,the top slot, and try booting with just one memory module.

If no change, then try swapping the removed memory module into slot A and try again.

Let us know what happens.

Hope this helps.

#5 DadWalters

DadWalters
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 01:24 PM

I had tried the last known good config, but forgot to list it. Have been busy with the kids, I will try what you have suggested and get back with you. Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users