Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Use recovery disk or warranty?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 sushiguy

sushiguy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:54 PM

Hello,

My Toshiba Satellite P755-S5265 has been acting strangely lately. Whenever I start it up, it starts up and goes all the way up to the windows 7 screen, with the symbol that has the 4 colors. However, after that my mouse shows up and that's all that shows. It's basically a blank, black screen mouse with it.
I have a one year warranty that was included with the laptop that expires in 3 months. Should I use this warranty and go back to Office Depot for them to fix it...or should I use my recovery disk to fix it?
I'm not sure if the warranty will help as I heard bad things..any advice would help.
Thank you!

P.S. I have also tried troubleshooting the problem. I have tried holding the power button for 1 min and have tried cleaning the RAM. None of these have worked.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

<<Should I use this warranty and go back to Office Depot for them to fix it...or should I use my recovery disk to fix it?>>

It seems to me that the nature of the problem...which is not yet defined...should determine your options more clearly.

I've not owned any OEM systems covered by a warranty. Seems to me that the terms of that warranty are something that you should become familiar with.

If the terms indicate that you should return the system for everything that might go wrong...then such is a viable option. If the warranty covers system/component defects (such as a typical component warranty will), then I would think that you need to be able to assert with confidence/proof that such defect exists.

Recovery disks are supplied by OEMs...as the routine way of overcoming system Windows problems that the user/customer cannot deal with. These disks may or may not be supplemented by system support webpages at the site of the system manufacturer.

If I had an OEM system...the support webpage for that system would be the first place that I would look...for possible answers to situations that I encountered while using my system.

FWIW: Office Depot is not the OEM, Toshiba is. If you have a warranty with Office Depot, that is quite different than the Toshiba warranty. In either case, the written terms dictate.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users