Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is this some sort of partition or something I can't see?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hi.
I have a Windows 7 x64 Toshiba Satellite which at one point used to have an OEM version of Windows. I've had it since 2009. The hard drive died, so I had to get the hard drive replaced, and the person who fixed the computer for me also installed Windows 7 again (he replaced the hard drive...I could do that myself on an ordinary PC, I'm not so comfortable with the confines of tiny spaces in a laptop). Lately my laptop has developed an issue with Java, which I don't think is going to get resolved to be honest. It was recommended that I run sfc /scannow in cmd.exe as Admin, which I did. It didn't work, it got to 8%, stopped and said that Windows Resource Protection wasn't able to carry out the procedure. So I thought maybe I should try it in the F8 menu before it boots into Windows.
I get there, and it shows me the whole system restore, repair startup etc menu, and I choose command prompt, type in the sfc...but instead of telling me that it can't do it because WRP can't carry out the procedure, it tells me another repair process is underway. Which is odd seeing as I hadn't chosen to carry out any other repairs on the system. Then I noticed something. The prompt showed a drive labelled X: not C:, which is what I would have expected.
Now I don't know where this 'X:' drive is. I can't see it in Windows normally, and yet when I type dir/p/w (because I was being nosy and wanted to see what else there was on it), it showed a few windows directories (that is to say Windows, Program Files etc), and startup.exe.
I type in startup and sure enough it launches what appears to be the installation program for Windows 7. This is delightful I think. But I'm unsure as to whether or not I can actually use this to re-install windows when I don't actually have a physical hard copy of the Windows 7 OS on me (as in I don't have a CD with it on - just for the sake of clarity). I can get the key using Jellybean, or some equivalent software (I shouldn't need to point out that it is a genuine copy - but I will and it is) from my current installation of it, but I just don't know what to make of this. Can it be done, and where is this X drive that is so elusive? Am I likely to see it in BIOS? Is it something I normally wouldn't expect to see in Windows?
I'm really pretty lost on this issue, and some help would be greatly, massively appreciated.

So basically, 1) Is it safe for me to use this setup program or is it likely to cause more hassle than anything else? And 2) How on EARTH do I locate this X drive in Windows normally?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

X Drive is a temporary drive created for system repair functions on drive C:.

#3 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

So would it be possible to copy that temporary drive's contents to e.g., a USB drive and use it as a means to do a clean install of the OS?

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:15 AM

No, because it only has the tools necessary to perform repair actions. You will need a full Windows 7 CD to perform a clean install.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Thanks for the information Cryptodan. Oh well...new disc it is then.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:29 PM

What is your budget, because I could link you to a few websites I buy my stuff from.

#7 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:28 AM

What is your budget, because I could link you to a few websites I buy my stuff from.

That sadly is half my problem. Currently in between jobs, so my budget is kinda tight at the moment - but any pointers would be gratefully received.

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:32 AM

http://www.royaldiscount.com/Windows+7+Home+Premium/

http://www.royaldiscount.com/Windows+XP+Professional/

http://www.trustprice.com/products/sc-1335/windows.html

Just a few.