Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video playback causes all sounds to lag

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Kuroko

Kuroko

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:38 AM

Hello,

I recently fried my SSD and had to reformat my system. I used exactly the same set up as last time, but now I have a problem I've never encountered before. When playing video (browser, players), all sounds, even system sounds, will begin to lag.

Here is what I had so far when I started experiencing this problem (since then, I've added more programs):

Hardware:
- WD 250G HDD
- WD 250G HDD
- WD 500G HDD
- OCZ VERTEX2 60G SSD (sys)

- Asus M4A77TD mobo
- 3G RAM
- Phenom X4 945
- Radeon HD 3870

Drivers:
- XP 32bit
- Audio: VIA HD Deck 5.0 (since updated to 6.0) VTI708
- Video: 8.9 Catalyst (newest driver package for 3870)

Codecs:
- Haali media splitter
- Matroska pack
- ffdshow
- flv
(since added: AAC, AC3 and -filter, AV splitter, DirectVobSub, K-lite)

I'm running on exactly the same basic set up that I had on my last system, which is known to work. The system is 2 days old, and problems started occuring on the very first day (when I had "settled down" and tried playback for the first time).

For video playback I've tried: Firefox 12.0, Bsplayer 2.6, Bsplayer 1.0, VLC 1.1

I have not tried: Chrome 19.0

How the problem behaves:

- The video will first start playing fine, and will gradually start to lag. If I at this point pause the video and make a system sound to play, it will lag at the same speed as the video. This goes for all other sounds as well.
- If I completely shut down the player (or browser), all sounds will reset to normal. However it seems that the longer the system is running, the more lag I gradually build up regardless if a video is playing or not.
- If I pay attention, I can hear a glitch in the playback several times before lag starts to build up

UPDATE: tried playback without browser running at the same time, audio started to lag, but seemed to get worse much slower. I used a different file to play this time, so it could also be due to that.

UPDATE: If I pause video, open a browser, and try playback again there will be no sound, or the sound plays but video stops.

UPDATE: Re-installed CPU, dusted out the case. New temperatures: CPU 39 - 45 C, Mobo 45C, GPU 43 C

What I have tried so far:

- Re-installing all audio and video drivers and several codecs and players
- In my "whyuno" rage accidentally uninstalled Windows KB888111 package, and lost all audio, quickly fixed the problem by uninstalling audio drivers, SP3, re-installing chipset drivers, then KB888111 and then VIA drivers and finally SP3 = back to square 1.
- searched everywhere for an answer, however, all problems seem to be program related, so far I've found nothing that would affect the whole system
- Nothing note-worthy in eventvwr
- Would have done a system restore, but since the problems started occuring hours after installing XP, I was unable to create a restore point.

I am fairly sure that reformatting would cure this problem, but XPs are hard to aquire, and I had to wait 2 weeks for the last one to arrive from Germany.
I am also fairly interested in finding out what causes this, considering that this is a fresh system with minimum number of programs and a runtime of 2 days.

I will be updating this post as I try new things, and repeatedly pressing F5 while repressing the urge to bang my head against the wall.

Edited by Kuroko, 03 June 2012 - 04:01 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:53 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

#3 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:21 AM

Please perform the following, so that we can get the exact specs of your computer. This will better assist us in helping you more.

Publish a Snapshot using Speccy

The below is for those who cannot get online

Please take caution when attaching a text file to your post if you cannot copy/paste the link to your post, you will need to edit it to make sure that your Windows Key is not present.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/sWsJlaU6keY7sxBo6hoOilS

+1 for Speccy,- first time encountering it, very nice.
Update: tried playback without browser running at the same time, audio started to lag, but seemed to get worse much slower. I used a different file to play this time, so it could also be due to that.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:27 AM

I see 3 things that could potentially be causing your issue, and they are the following:

1) Your processor is far to hot and heat can cause issues like you are describing.

2) You are running Symantec, and they are notorious for being system resource hungry.

3) The heat can be caused by inadequate cooling in your case.

Can you post a picture of your case with its side open?

#5 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:04 AM

The correct answer is since Adobe updated Flash a few weeks ago, it hasn't worked properly. They seem to issue an update weekly to try to fix whatever the problem is but nothing seems to help. It's causing different things. Right now you will get audio lags. And sometimes the video stutters. I don't know what Adobe did but they really messed up. The problem is on their end.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

The correct answer is since Adobe updated Flash a few weeks ago, it hasn't worked properly. They seem to issue an update weekly to try to fix whatever the problem is but nothing seems to help. It's causing different things. Right now you will get audio lags. And sometimes the video stutters. I don't know what Adobe did but they really messed up. The problem is on their end.

Can you post the link on Adobe's site that states this?

#7 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

I did think about this for a second, but I scrapped the idea after I confirmed that lag is still present when browser is closed. The lag is very slight then, so that can be explained by the temperature levels. I did not even notice this, I did have a few temperature probes from my NZXT -case dislodged when I installed my new SSD, and I didn't have time to install Core Temp on this OS, so I couldn't tell it had gotten this bad. The case is fine, I keep it clean, but I think its time I reinstall my CPU, I will do that tonight and report back if there is a difference.

As for Norton, I only use it because of work. I have used BitDefender, Antivir, Kapersky and a few others before, but for now I'm stuck with what I have.

Does this Adobe issue only affect certain users, I find it hard to believe that I wouldn't have heard of such a wide spread problem. How can it affect my player too?

#8 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Re-installed CPU (very nice and quiet right now), temperatures are now: CPU 39 - 45 C, Mobo 45C, GPU 43 C.
Unfortunately the problem still persists.
Now that I think about it, I hadn't updated my Flash player in a long while in my old OS...

#9 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:46 PM

There's no documentation. Adobe is embarrassed by this but they are also arrogant jerks. When they first issued the update, videos lagged in Youtube. So obviously Google told them there was a problem. Adobe has issued updates since and the latest one has caused delayed audio in Youtube videos along with the video problem. So they are still trying to fix the problem. All viral video sites have this problem but of course Youtube is the biggest.

#10 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:56 PM

I however, do not exhibit such behavior as that you are describing. All my youtube videos are lag free and perform quite well even in full screen mode on all browsers.

#11 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:17 PM

I'm most interested in how does Flash affect me outside the browser? And if it does, is there any way for me to determine that this is indeed the source of my problems (by terminating or restricting a process). I have not mentioned Youtube at all, and could even somehow manage with it alone lagging, but all audio lag is intolerable. How can flash make even my system sounds lag? This is what I'd like to know.

#12 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:39 AM

It is definately not a flash problem, since Silverlight lags as well, but it's also not a hardware problem, since everything works perfectly on my other OS. What gives?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

I'm somewhat confused by the different paths this topic has taken.

Is the problem as stated in your title...all sounds seem to lag?

Did you run the XP Sound Troubleshooter?

You say that you reinstalled the audio drivers...did you uninstall the old ones first...or merely try to reinstall over them?

Did you try MS FixIt?

Louis

#14 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

I'm somewhat confused by the different paths this topic has taken.

Is the problem as stated in your title...all sounds seem to lag?

Did you run the XP Sound Troubleshooter?

You say that you reinstalled the audio drivers...did you uninstall the old ones first...or merely try to reinstall over them?

Did you try MS FixIt?

Louis

Yes, the problem is that all audio (system sounds, player sounds, browser sounds) lag.
I uninstalled everything first, then reinstalled, and even tried older drivers at a point.
I had not tried FixIt before, and unfortunately it could not fix the problem (I will bookmark this one though, thanks :) )
The problem seems to react to stress; when I'm playing a video in a browser, and open another window, the video on the background will lag horribly (not just audio but video too), and the refresh rate seems to have gone down drastically. This will carry on for a while even after going back to the original video.
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with my hardware though, everything works 100 % fine in my other OS.

This problem is completely beyond my knowledge, and I have prepared to format if there is no solution.
Since posting this topic I've ordered another XP and expect it to arrive any day now.
It's been an interesting ride (and I would have very much liked to solve this out of curiousity) but right now my mindset is: new Norton key + 8 for XP < the effort put to fixing this problem.

#15 Kuroko

Kuroko
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

Problems:

Re-installed everything (and did it really carefully and slowly too), even at the most basic of all set ups (necessary drivers and programs) this problem still occurs. My old OS played video perfectly without any lag at all.
Terminating (not uninstalling, just crashing) Norton did not work. It has to be the drivers, right? But which ones?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users