Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Security Essentials---Has Not Uninstalled

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101° N, 0.2906° W

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:04 AM

Windows XP SP3, windows firewall, Avira, Malwarebytes, Eset scanner once a fornight.
I installes MSE quite some time ago (12 months), and have always been a little uneasy about the removal....I was never SURE that it had completely gone.
Today i d/loaded a small program called SecurityCheck.exe. It pposted the following report...::

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.41
Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86
Internet Explorer 8
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
Windows Firewall Enabled!
Avira Desktop
Microsoft Security Essentials
Antivirus up to date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
WinPatrol
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 1.61.0.1400
CCleaner
Java™ 7 Update 4
Adobe Flash Player 11.2.202.235
Mozilla Firefox (12.0)
Mozilla Thunderbird (12.0.1)
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent````````
WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamgui.exe
Avira Antivir avgnt.exe
Avira Antivir avguard.exe
BillP Studios WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
Total Fragmentation on Drive C:: 6%
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

6 Lines down from the start of the report, it states....microsoft security essentials...antivirus up to date...etc etc
which means that it remains !
I have accessed the Microsoft articles online and scoured the registry for the items they say i should delete, and they are not there (yes, I am sure)
I put MSE in to the windows search box and got no result
Any suggestions??

Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:10 AM

Please have a read here: How do I remove MSE? click on the Fix It For Me button.

#3 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:43 AM

Cryptodan, I have already visited that page today.
The 'fixit" thingie does not remove it. I ran that procedure and then rebooted, ran the 'securitycheck.exe'
and the result was;;;;;;;
Internet Explorer 8

Avira Desktop
Microsoft Security Essentials
Antivirus up to date! (On Access scanning disabled!)
WinPatrol
CCleaner
Java™ 7 Update 4
Mozilla Firefox (12.0)
WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
Avira Antivir avgnt.exe

I have looked closely in task manager for the 'msseces.exe' entry and it is not there.
I then entered the cmd to stop the service and followed the steps to delete the necessary keys etc and none of those keys are in the places they are supposed to be in.
I also d'loaded and installed the latest version of MSE (turned off protection on my current AV while i was doing this), and then uninstalled it....hoping that it would take any leftovers with it in the process.......no such luck.
On a brighter note, it is interesting that, to the best of my knowledge, there is no discernible incompatability with Avira. (mebbe i am looking for an easy way out here!) I do still get that uneasy feeling when i think of there being two AV programs on my pc at the same time.
Dunno.
Brian

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:50 AM

Here is the newer version of that link above: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2483120

#5 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:03 AM

I have already been to that link as well......I ran it again just to be sure to be sure .......no luck

Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:08 AM

Here is one last method:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_start/uninstalling-mse/a63b8c4b-58ed-437e-8086-fa08d80725a4

it is as of 5/2012.

#7 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

ok...enough for one night.....I tried all the steps on that link.......really thought i had it when the .bat ran....but...twas not meant to be.
I will open a support case with M'Soft tomorrow.
Thank you for trying Cryptodan.

Kind Regards,
Brian

GcnI1aH.jpg

#8 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:20 AM

You are welcome, and if I can think of anything more to try, then I will post back.

How about we do this try creating a new account, and then see if it still exists in Security Check.

Also try giving this a whirl: Temp File Cleaner maybe its still detecting a temporary file someplace.

#9 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

I have accessed the Microsoft articles online and scoured the registry for the items they say i should delete, and they are not there (yes, I am sure)

Delete this folder

C:\programfiles\microsoft security client

Delete this key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client

Now PRESS Windows+R key and type

cmd and click ok and run these commands

net stop winmgmt press ENTER

cd C:\windows\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt

Restart the PC.Another way is to try using third party uninstallers(revo uninstaller)

#10 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

{{{Delete this folder

C:\programfiles\microsoft security client

Delete this key

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Security Client}}}

NARENXP.....The above instruction was tried , and subsequently failed......because the folder and the key are not present in their respective positions.

HOWEVER.....the next instruction ........
net stop winmgmt press ENTER

cd C:\windows\system32\wbem
ren repository repository.old
net start winmgmt
DID THE TRICK !!!!!!!!!!
MSE IS GONE>>>>........(see below)

Internet Explorer 8
Avira Desktop
Antivirus up to date!
WinPatrol
CCleaner
Java™ 7 Update 4
Mozilla Firefox (12.0)
WinPatrol winpatrol.exe
Avira Antivir avgnt.exe

Cryptodan....Thank you for your help. ....and......i have attempted to use the temp file cleaner from geeks to go on many occasions, and each time the desktop disappears (normal)....but then the program fails to respond (says not responding),my PC freezes, and the only way to get access to my PC again is to do a hard shut down. Even task manager will not open !. I have no idea why this happens.

I am a happy little vegemite once again....
Brian.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#11 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

It will appear frozen, because it is working. It does that on my machine.

#12 narenxp

narenxp

• BC Advisor
  • 16,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 11:57 AM

Did you try it in safemode?

#13 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:59 PM

Crytodan, I have used temp cleaner many times in the past and am quite familiar with the 'blank' screen, and the apparent lack of activity etc etc......but this is REALLY a lack of activity...it just sits.....hangs.....and goes nowhere !..Eventually..(after maybe 4 minutes) the words not responding appear......and if i was to simply leave it....it would stay in that state indefinitely.

Narenxp, I ran temp cleaner in Safemode, and it executed properly......cleaned 1200mb and did not ask for reboot.
I then rebooted back to normal mode, and all appears to be well.

Thank you both for the help you have given.
I would still love to know why temp cleaner wont work in normal mode, however......that may just have to remain one of life's little mysteries !

Brian
Outback Australia
:busy:

GcnI1aH.jpg

#14 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:10 AM

My curiosity is getting the better of me....I attempted to run TFC in normal mode......no luck
The desktop disappeared, and i waited and waited and waited for some sign of life/activity.
After 20 minutes, i called it quits, and clicked on exit.......no response....other than for the cursor to turn into the hour glass.
I then attempted to close it by clicking on the x.......and the response was for the words (Not Responding) to appear beside TFC.
Are we able to explore this further? I used to use TFC on a regular basis.....perhaps once a fortnight or month, depending on the level of activity on my PC

Brian.

GcnI1aH.jpg

#15 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

Download Autoruns for Windows: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinte...s/bb963902.aspx

No installation required.

Simply unzip Autoruns.zip file, and double click on autoruns.exe file to run the program.

Go File>Save, and save it as AutoRuns.txt file to know location.

You must select Text from drop-down menu as a file type:

Posted Image

Attach the file to your next reply.

Compliments of Broni

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users