Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Weird Windows XP Installation Problem

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:54 PM

I have an Acer Aspire D250 laptop. Originally came with Windows 7 Starter. I didn't like W7, so I decided to install Ubuntu. Tired of Ubuntu not being compatible with software I need, I'm switching back to XP. But I ran into a problem.

Here's what the screen exactly says:

Setup has recognized the following mass storage devices in your computer:

<none>

To specify additional SCSI adapters, CD-ROM drives, or special disk controllers for use with Windows XP, including those for which you have a device support disk from a mass storage device manufacturer, Press S.

If you do not have any device support disks from a mass storage device manufacturer, or do not want to specify additional mass storage devices for use with Windows XP, press ENTER.

I pressed ENTER, and it shows existing partitions on my computer. The only partition I see was my flash drive with Windows XP on it. Not the hard drive. I'm really confused at this point. Could somebody please help me with this issue? I'll be on until this problem is resolved. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

You will need to identify the chipset used for your SATA Controller, and download the drivers to a floppy diskette then press F6 to install them. You must also use Windows XP SP1 or later.

If you cannot find Windows XP Drivers, then you will have to reinstall Windows 7.

#3 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:04 PM

You will need to identify the chipset used for your SATA Controller, and download the drivers to a floppy diskette then press F6 to install them. You must also use Windows XP SP1 or later.

If you cannot find Windows XP Drivers, then you will have to reinstall Windows 7.

It's a Netbook. They don't have CD-ROMS or Floppy Drives. Sorry for not saying that earlier.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:05 PM

Then my recommendation is to either go and by a floppy and cd-rom that is USB or reinstall Windows 7.

#5 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:14 PM

Then my recommendation is to either go and by a floppy and cd-rom that is USB or reinstall Windows 7.

Went to the Acer Support website. Found my model with the downloads for it. Would it be under SATA: -> Sata Driver?

http://support.acer.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=1113

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:33 PM

Yes it would be under there, and it should have instructions to put the driver on a floppy.

#7 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 03:13 PM

If you google slipstream sata drivers xp, there are some other options you can try.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#8 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:24 PM

If you google slipstream sata drivers xp, there are some other options you can try.

What other options can I try?

#9 bjamrok

bjamrok

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

If you can't Slipstream the drivers, then cryptodan's solutions are your only choice.
Sincerely,

Brian

"Thanks to all of you who contribute to open source projects and communities!"

http://jamroktech.blogspot.com

#10 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:18 PM

If you can't Slipstream the drivers, then cryptodan's solutions are your only choice.

Reinstalling Windows 7 I guess.

#11 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

If I reinstall Windows 7, will it recognize my hard drive or would I have to slip stream drivers?

#12 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 02:07 AM

It would more then likely recognize your hard drive.

#13 Guest_Tech1292_*

Guest_Tech1292_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 05 June 2012 - 07:11 PM

Thank you guys so much. Problem fixed!

#14 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •