Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

can't delete file from desk top,the icon stays

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 donatello

donatello

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:40 PM

Dell Studio XPS 8100 i5 64-bit Windows 7
Yes I'm logged in as administrator.First problem: When I tried to delete a file, the icon stays where it was. When I try for the second time to delete same file, I get "This is no longer located in C:\users\john\desktop. Verify the items location and try again." Second problem: When I make a new folder on my desktop, name it and push enter,the name reverts to "new folder".

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:48 PM

Try creating a new account, and see if the issue presents itself with the new account.

#3 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

If there's anything in the desktop folder, you'll have to delete or un-install contents first by right clicking and open as Administrator. Delete the contents, then the folder. Sometimes "safe mode" will work when other modes don't.

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

#4 donatello

donatello
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:33 AM

I've never had any issues creating new folders/files or deleting them on my desk top... I'll try a new account first

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users