Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

peripheral help

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 sniper8752

sniper8752

• Members
  • 383 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:24 PM

I am trying to get a usb/cd to work on my windows 98 computer. when i insert a disc, it says "e:\ is not accessible. The device is not ready." i tried the 98 installation disc, and it picked it up fine. i tried a usb stick also, and that asked me to find the driver in a list. i selected usb controllers, but then did not know what to choose for the manufacturer for sandisk. then when i do try to install one, it warns me that it was "not written specifically for the selected hardware and may not work correctly. installing this driver is not recommended." I am trying to run a .exe file.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:25 PM

What is the model number of the USB Drive?

#3 Keithuk

Keithuk

• Members
  • 957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:33 PM

USB devices on Win98 aren't plug and play you generally need drivers so search the manufacturers web site for them. There are universal drivers but I've never got these to work. Windows 98SE USB Mass Storage Device Drivers

Keith

Windows ME (spare computer)
Windows XP 2002 Professional SP3 (desktop computer)
Windows 7 Professional SP1 32bit (laptop computer)

Windows 8 64bit spare drive for laptop computer

#4 lti

lti

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 08:27 PM

There are also 98 First Edition drivers here. Also, some drive manufacturers have Windows 98 drivers available for download. PNY used to have drivers that work with every drive they sell. Sandisk has drivers for older drive models, but not for the drives they currently manufacture. The generic drivers in the links above work perfectly with Sandisk's newer drives.

#5 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:33 AM

Posted 01 August 2012 - 08:02 PM

i remember that you could get usb mass storage driver that someone made and it worked good for usb sticks {98se} but i also got it to work on 98 original. google usb & win98 , should be able to find it. i'll post a link if i find it again.

took a quick look thru my files and found this readme:

Maximus Decim Native USB ver.2.3

Only for Windows 98SE English !!!

Native (without installation of additional drivers
for each type) support USB flash drives, digital
photo and videocameras and other similar devices.
Remember! You install it at own risk!
Before installation remove ALL of driver
USB flash drivs, available in system.

files are called nusb23e.exe and nusb33e.exe

they worked very well on my 98se machine and with a few file swaps i got them to work fine on 98fe

Edited by kbit, 01 August 2012 - 08:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users