Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC making a buzzing noise

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ttrep

Ttrep

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:21 PM

I just got a new PC last week. About a three days ago I accidentally nudged my PC tower with my knee. I opened up the case to make sure everything was fine, and that nothing has been moved out of place. Everything was O.K. so I let it be.

However, starting around sometime yesterday, I noticed that what was once a completely silent computer, suddenly started making this buzzing noise that persisted even after it had powered on. Today it's almost as if it has gotten louder. It's not an overall loud noise, but it does get irritating as hell when it goes on for hours in a silent room.

I'm not entirely sure where it's coming from. It almost sounds as if it might be my GPU, but I'm not sure. This is a bummer because I finally worked up the finances to get a decent PC, and now this happens.

Some of my PC specs are:

Intel Core i7 3770 3.40 GHz

16 GB RAM

Nvidia GTX 670

1954GB Seagate ST2000DL003-9VT166

ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CM6870

Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 800W

MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1

Someone please help. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited by Ttrep, 02 June 2012 - 06:21 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

I would make sure that all your cards are firmly seated, and to make sure that any and all wires are away from the fans.

Also what kind of buzzing sounds? Does it sound bees?

#3 Ttrep

Ttrep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:37 PM

Also what kind of buzzing sounds? Does it sound bees?

Sort of? But lower pitched. It's a constant noise. It doesn't fluctuate. It's pretty hard to describe.

#4 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:40 PM

Yeah I would make sure that all cables even external cables like sound or headphones are snug and that all cards are securely seated in place.

I would also like for you to remove the speakers, to make sure that the speakers are not the cause of this interference.

#5 Ttrep

Ttrep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:59 PM

All the cards are securely in place, and the the cables are tied up neatly. I also unplugged the speakers and there is no difference in the noise.

I can't exactly make out if it's coming from my CPU or GPU, but it's strange. The PC is brand new. There isn't so much as a spec of dust anywhere on it. I'm perplexed by what could be causing this.

It did started after I nudged it with my knee, so I would guess that something moved, but everything is securely in place.

#6 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:00 PM

I would return it then since its brand new.

#7 Ttrep

Ttrep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:07 PM

My friend had a similar problem. Although his PC sounded like it had tooth picks stuck in the fans or something. I was sure that it was going to die soon. But he just beat the sides a few times and after a while it stopped. Almost 2 years later, it's still fine.

It makes that noise when it's moved suddenly, but then it calms down again.

I'm pretty reluctant to beat my PC though, lol.

#8 Ttrep

Ttrep
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:17 PM

I would return it then since its brand new.

Do you know what could potentially be the problem, though?

I'm curious.

#9 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:37 PM

Without being physically there to inspect the computer I do not know, but it sounds like a short or crossed wire.

#10 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

You need to pin down the noises source.

Your computer has at least three or more fans

I suspect that something is hitting one of them.

Fan 1, Power supply (sometimes 2 fans), Fan 2 CPU, Fan 3 Video card, Fan four case fan or more. There could also be a chipset fan too.

Sometimes the fan in the front of the case or the power supply can be the cause. I had a New power supply started buzzing when a piece of the glue they use inside came loose and was hitting the power supply fan. I've seen the front / rear fan make a buzzing noise when a wire was hitting the blades, Hard to see with the front fan sometimes.

Take something like a paper towel roll. Use it as a directional device to find the source of the buzzing. Hold it to one ear and cover the other so all the sound comes through the tube. That should get you to where you can locate the noises source.

Good Luck
Roger

Come to think of it there is one other source. I've seen the case or a optical drive cause a buzz from a slight vibration. Sometimes that can be cured by shifting the case gently while it is running and listening to the noise.

Edited by rotor123, 04 June 2012 - 03:13 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users