Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Control Panel Glitch

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 10 Beers

10 Beers

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:21 PM

I went to Control Panel - Admin. Tools to use Computer Management to change drive letters so I could install another partition on my D: without having my other drive letters changed automaticaly.
The Computer Management icon is gone and I can't find it.
Any ideas on what part of my computer to beat on? Any help appreciated and I'll buy the next round.
This is low priority as I can do most everything EXCEPT find Comp. Mangage.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

You can access most system management tools by right-clicking on the "My Computer" icon (on the desktop or in the Start Menu) and selecting Manage from the pop up menu. This opens the management console which includes the Disk Management tool (and other handy tools like the defragmenter, log viewers, etc.)

Or, you can access the Disk Management tool directly by typing diskmgmt.msc into the Run... window and then clicking the OK button.

Edited by Andrew, 02 June 2012 - 12:34 PM.

#3 10 Beers

10 Beers
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Thank you, Andrew/Bleepin' Night Watchman. That Run - diskmgmt.msc worked. That's basically what I needed.
Now that I've had help scratching that flea I'm going to futz around to try and find how the Computer Management icon vanished from Control Panel/Admin. Tools, after I do the disk partition I started out to do.
Probably I did an 'in-a-hurry-not-paying-attention-stupid-move' but, for the life of me, I can't figure out what that would be. Deleted it in a fit of stupidity??
Seems to be a vital part of Admin Tools and would pop back after a reboot. Maybe not.

As I said, the next round's on me. They set'em up, we'll knock 'em down. Thank you, again.

#4 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 01:46 PM

This registry file should fix the missing icon, though I don't know why it disappeared. Since this file modifies the Windows Registry, you should make a registry backup before proceeding. Save the admintoolsfix.reg file to your computer and then double-click it to merge it into the Registry (you'll be asked to confirm merging, please do so.) A reboot will be needed to make the changes go into effect.

Edited by Andrew, 02 June 2012 - 01:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users