Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Re-installation of Windows XP

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:45 AM

I recently requested Dell to send me the discs for re-installation for windows xp, which they were prompt at sending to me. Yesterday, I tried to figure it out myself, which turned out to be a mistake. I really didn't know what I was doing. The disc that I inserted had the option of upgrading, which I decided to choose since I wasn't sure what else to do, and it looked as if everything was installing correctly on it. Half way through I got a few messages saying it couldn't move the files or something along those lines, I hit cancel and it asked if I was sure, which I responded yes. It continued with a few more of these messages, until it finally finished it's installing and restarted my windows. However, it got stuck on the screen that's black and says Windows XP and below it said "Please Wait..." I left it alone for about 2 or 3 hours (thinking it was normal) but when I checked it, it was still stuck on this screen. I had to leave, so I just turned it off. This morning, when I turned it on, it still showed all of my user accounts and such, so I figured it had just stopped the whole process when I turned it off, but when I clicked my profile to log in, it loaded very slowly then popped up a message that said: "This copy of Windows must be activated with Microsoft before you can log on. Do you want to activate Windows now?" and if I click no, it simply logs me out and returns me to the welcome screen. If I click yes, it loads my desktop background, but nothing else. No icons or menu bar. I just want to fix it, preferably be able to re-install windows like I had planned. Dell sent me 5 different discs, none of which I'm even sure are what I need. These are what I got:
1- DRIVERS AND UTILITIES - DVD for Installing Dell Dimenstion and Dell XPS Computer Software (the Contents are Device drivers and Diagnostics and utilities)
2- APPLICATION - For Reinstalling Dell Tools System Software (Contents are Antivirus software, support software, multimedia software, internet software)
3) OPERATING SYSTEM - Reinstallation CD Recover Media for Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Product Service Pack 3
4) APPLICATION (a different one from #2) - States it's for reinstalling Cyberlink PowerDVD DX 8.2 Software for Microsoft Windows XP and Windows Vista and PowerDVD DX 8.3 for Windows 7.
5) Roxio Creator starter - Says it's a back up disc

Did they send the correct discs I need? Can someone out there give me step-by-step instructions on how to go about this the right way? And if not, then at least how to fix it to where I can log onto my account again correctly?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 10:53 AM

Dell provides pretty explicit instructions...on how to use said disks.

Did you check the Dell website?

Use Dell System Restore CD (SRCD) - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=F1CAF70CBAA94797B3F60FFE4A2FE346&doclang=en&cs=

Restore, Reinstall Windows On Dell Computer - http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&dl=false&l=en&s=gen&docid=58E26A65A4388E4FE040AE0AB7E107E3&doclang=en&cs

Louis

#3 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:03 AM

In your first link, the CD shown doesn't match any of the CD's that I received and I wasn't really given any options like it states that I should. In the second link, most of it seems like it's just for Windows 7? One of the things it says to do is press F8 and I should see a repair option, but I don't as I tried doing that before requesting any CDs. But I asked for Re-installation CD's. Should I have requested System Restore instead?

#4 Guest_Kohana_*

Guest_Kohana_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Just updating that I was able to finally figure it out in the end.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:31 AM

Glad you solved it, happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users