Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP sp2 fails to boot after activation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PetarSickey

PetarSickey

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 09:56 AM

Hi,

I installed one of my pcs from an XP SP2 disk.

About 3 times, the following scenarion happened: I called Microsoft and activated my copy of Windows XP. That went fine. Then upon the next boot (I believe), the computer hangs on boot up. I looked in safe mode and I believe it hung on a file drvmain.sdb. Now with my reinstallation of windows xp, I have now reactivated for the 3rd time, and my computer is still running.

Can anyone think of what I should do before I shut my computer down so this boot failure will not happen? The file drvmain.sdb is in the AppPatch directory - it has August 4, 2004 3:00PM as the date and time. Is the SP2 version of the file continuing unchanged? Should I copy this file to a cache - could it be the cache version that XP is hanging up on, if so, I can just copy it over to the cache.

Just curious if anyone can help me not have the boot failure this time, which will be the 3rd time. If copying the file to the cache would work, I'll do it, or if reinstalling sp2 to get the right version (why is not right, if this is true).

Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:37 AM

The computer I have had the hangs on drvmain.sdb on is NOT on the Internet. Are their security and/or other patches not included with the SP2 file that are not getting automatically downloaded? Or is the sp2 file good enough - are their different versions of Windows XP sp2, some with additions to sp2?

#3 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:39 AM

Should I just download XP sp3 since it would presumably have all previous updates?

#4 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:17 PM

I decided to install xp sp3 (I accidentally chose the debug version, and it's checked). So I had to change a registry
key to allow the installation to proceed - UniProcessor Free to Checked.

On rebooting, xp found all of these orphaned files and all kinds of weird stuff happened. I only hope that it didn't try to recover the files I deleted in Linux to get rid of a virus. I will have to check with a Linux boot.

Anyway, I don't want the debug version so I will have to uninstall and reinstall the retail version of sp3.

#5 PetarSickey

PetarSickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:30 PM

Looks like the files I deleted in Linux are still gone - no obvious problem there. I guess I just need to learn how to
turn off the extensive debugging display on the screen of the debug version of sp3 (until I uninstall and reinstall a retail version).

Perhaps I can turn this off somehow. I guess I will keep the UniProcessor Free key to Checked for now or perhaps I should change it back - not sure about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users