Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using TV as Second Monitor, Audio Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Genisay

Genisay

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Hey again guys. Haven't been here in a while, but seems my computer is giving me another issue that Bleeping Computer may be able to help with, because Kioskea sure couldn't (or rather, did not even try).

I've gotten an HDMI (I think that is right) for my laptop to connect to my 32' inch TV so I could use it as a secondary monitor. The problem seems to be that I can not always get the sound to work on the TV (it plays on my laptop instead) when I play things like videos, streams and games on the TV, but every so often the sound shows up there. I can not seem to control this at all, it just happens, and does not happen reliably.

I have tried adjusting my audio options under my Control Panel, but that only allows me to either set which device I wish to use as the primary sound system, or to change a device to being a communication set up. But I have had the sound some times play on the TV for an application that is on the TV, while sound will come through my computer for applications on that monitor.

I am wondering if there is a way I can make this happen when I want it to, so that I can have better sound when watching things like youtube videos or playing my computer games there, but don't have other programs being overly loud by keeping them on the laptop.

If any one can please help, it would be appreciated,
thank you,
Genisay

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azyardies

azyardies

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:03 PM

Hi,
Have you tried an audio cable that plugs into the PC and the tv?
I didnt see that you mentioned it on your post.
I have a laptop that I connect to my TV via HDMI cable.

But I wont get sound that comes from the TV UNLESS I also connect the 2 to each other using the audio cable.
Maybe you already did this and are still having problems, but thought I would ask you anyways in case this
was not addressed.

#3 Genisay

Genisay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 02:14 PM

Sorry it took me a while to respond. I have not tried that yet. I will however.
I can get sound on my TV with the HDMI, but only if I switch my computer's set up to recognize the TV as the primary speaker source. Trying to get the duel sound thing to happen reliably though...where programs on my computer use my computer for sound, but ones on the TV use the TV for sound. Happens sometimes on it's own, but I can't seem to make it happen when I want it too.

I'll try the audio cable idea though. Unless it is a special cable, I think I have one kicking around.

#4 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  

Posted 20 June 2012 - 06:50 PM

not sure if i completely understand your problem but I can tell you that when i connect my laptop(win7) via HDMI:

if application is running (browser or VLC) with audio and video running when I plug in the HDMI, the sound continues to come from my laptop.

if I first connect the HDMI and then start the application (browser or VLC) the sound then plays through the TV speakers.

#5 Genisay

Genisay
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2012 - 06:36 PM

Hmm. I'll try that. I usually just keep it plugged in all of the time, but I'll try unplugging it, opening the application on my TV, then plugging it back in again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users