Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 thinks my old hard drive is unformatted

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GodfatherTulane

GodfatherTulane

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

My old laptop died due to a power supply failure. It was so old, and new laptops are so cheap, I decided to just replace it.

I put my old hard drive in a USB enclosure and hooked it up to the new laptop. Unfortunately Windows 7 keeps saying I need to format the drive before using it.

I did manage to trick Windows 7 once, by plugging in only one of the two USB connections, and I was able to browse through and see all the data, so I know it's intact. But when I tried to change ownership of the old files, Computer Manager froze (which I've noticed it has a very annoying tendency to do). Task Manager wouldn't even come up. I had to shut down the computer. When I turned it back on, the same old problem came back.

How do I get Windows to stop asking me to format every 5 seconds and let me see the files?

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:00 AM

My old laptop died due to a power supply failure. It was so old, and new laptops are so cheap, I decided to just replace it.

Your new laptop should be formatted and have Windows7 installed already - You just click and go (usually) -
Why do you now want to hook a bad Hard Drive to a new computer ? Sorry but you did not explain this part -

If I have mis-read your post, please correct me, or describe your reasoning behind your actions -

Thank You -

#3 GodfatherTulane

GodfatherTulane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:17 AM

Sorry--wasn't clear, it was late and I'd been at it a while. The old computer died because of the power supply, not anything with the hard drive, so I bought a new computer.

I'm trying to use the enclosure to copy some of the files (photos, videos, etc.) from the old drive to the new computer.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 11:30 AM

Your PSU could have damaged your hard drive...did you run the appropriate diagnostic on it to check proper functionality?

If the drive itself is not damaged, the file system certainly could be. The fact that you get messages indicating that the drive is not formatted...is a bad sign.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 02 June 2012 - 11:32 AM.

#5 GodfatherTulane

GodfatherTulane
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 09:34 AM

Thanks. I think that might be the case. I think I'll just find someone to see what they can salvage for me.

The good news is about 99% of what I wanted was backed up somewhere (hardcopy, Adrive, Shutterfly, etc.) or can easily be recreated. I'll go ahead and use it as an external drive in the future, but I want to make sure I have everything before I reformat.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users