Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hugely annoying Java issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 MarcusW

MarcusW

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:39 PM

Greetings and salutations one and all.
I have a very annoying issue regarding Java. I don't know what's up with it, I've tried uninstalling it and re-installing it (after removing previous versions), have installed it both offline and (after uninstalling it) online. Yet for some bizarre obscure and unbeknownst reason to me, java just simply refuses to work. I can't use a download manager, as it keeps freezing after a split second (and installing that again and updating that in itself has not fixed it), I can't even get the Java website to verify I actually HAVE Java in the first place. I don't know what the heck is going on..I hear tell that it may be something to do with old registry entries, but I really still don't have the foggiest, and can't find anything online that seems to clear the problem up. I've installed the latest versions of Java (as I use both 32 and 64 bit browsers - FF, IE and Chrome). Does anyone have ANY ideas as to how I can clean this issue up. I did a full scan of the system in safe mode and that came up with nothing out of the norm. Clues, hints and tips accepted, but a full blown answer would knock my socks off - not to mention relieve me of a permanent headache.
Thanks in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Go to http://javatester.org/version.html, what version is reflected as installed?

Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?jre_version=1.6.0_31&vendor=Sun+Microsystems+Inc.&os=Windows+XP&os_version=5.1 , what version is detected...what version is recommended?

The two versions reflected should be the same, except the first site will display 1.0 in front of the version number reflected by Sun.

Louis

#3 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:52 PM

Go to http://javatester.org/version.html, what version is reflected as installed?

Go to http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp?jre_version=1.6.0_31&vendor=Sun+Microsystems+Inc.&os=Windows+XP&os_version=5.1 , what version is detected...what version is recommended?

The two versions reflected should be the same, except the first site will display 1.0 in front of the version number reflected by Sun.

Louis

How's about this...it's not working. As in not one jot of it is working. On ANY browser. Not on IE9, not on Mozilla FF, and certainly not on Chrome.
I went through the whole thing with those two websites and Java's told me I needed to download something I ALREADY had (I'm capping stuff for emphasis - for those who think it equates to shouting...which it never does for me, unless it's constant caps, which is just annoying). So I did it again anyway, and it's still not doing anything - even though I witnessed the installation procedure carry out to completion (after uninstalling the original installation of the same freakin' thing). I went through the whole getting it to work through the Java console in control panel, checking the boxes for the default browsers (strangely IE is shaded out but still ticked anyhow), and I ticked on the Mozilla FF box, and went through the tests again. Still nothing. I get a popup box in the form of some help dialogue box which doesn't do anything for me but just sit there looking...kind of redundant seeing as I haven't the first clue about how to use it. Thanks for the assist, but I'm still drawing blanks here. Any other ideas?

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:16 PM

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own
folder
  • Run JavaRa.exe (double-click for XP/right-click and Run as Administrator for Vista), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then
click Remove Older Versions.

#5 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:27 PM

Please download JavaRa to your desktop and unzip it to its own
folder

• Run JavaRa.exe (double-click for XP/right-click and Run as Administrator for Vista), pick the language of your choice and click Select. Then
click Remove Older Versions.

Hmm...this is interesting....
I ran the JavaRA.exe as you suggested and here is the log file for that...

JavaRa 1.16 Removal Log.

Report follows after line.

------------------------------------

The JavaRa removal process was started on Sun Jun 03 01:00:30 2012

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0000-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0001-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0002-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0003-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0004-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0005-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0006-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0007-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0008-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0009-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0010-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0011-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0012-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0013-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0014-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0015-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0016-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0017-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0018-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0019-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0020-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0021-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

There was an error removing C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\extensions\{CAFEEFAC-0016-0022-ABCDEFFDCBA}. The error returned was 124.

(The rest of the log file indicates everything was removed successfully - and has been edited out - it's a pain in the neck to scroll down and infinite number of lines to get to the rest of the thread)

Now here's the thing...I don't actually have Firefox installed on C, but on my external drive. So I checked in there (including hidden files), and none of those existed, so am I assuming this is not a problem to worry about correctly?

Also....I downloaded- possibly for the fifth time today -the installer for the latest version of Java, and..it still doesn't work.

Thanks for the assist.
Losing the will to live with this thing at the moment to be honest.

Edited by MarcusW, 03 June 2012 - 07:13 AM.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:09 PM

Ok now please

Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator,when the command prompt opens type or copy and paste the following in the code box.
sfc /scannow

Also see my post here for running the windows All in one repair.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455654.html/page__p__2718492#entry2718492

If nothing still then uninstall firefox and get a fresh copy.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?from=sfx&uid=151435&t=216

#7 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 02:50 AM

Ok now please

Open Elevated Command Prompt Click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator,when the command prompt opens type or copy and paste the following in the code box.

sfc /scannow

Also see my post here for running the windows All in one repair.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455654.html/page__p__2718492#entry2718492

If nothing still then uninstall firefox and get a fresh copy.

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/new/?from=sfx&uid=151435&t=216

Oh I got something alright. I got something that makes me thing that the shizzle just hit the fan. I ran the sfc command as you suggested, and it got to 8% and then it stopped and said "Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation."

I've had occasion to run this command a few times in the past (I totally forgot about it until you mentioned it in your reply though), and it didn't have any problems before....so I wonder what really is going on here.

#8 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:54 AM

Do you have your Vista CD ? Also try and run the repair tool I suggested then try and run SFC /scannow

#9 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:10 AM

Do you have your Vista CD ? Also try and run the repair tool I suggested then try and run SFC /scannow

S'funny. I could swear blind it says this is the Windows 7 part of the forum. Hence that is what I'm using.
To answer your question therefore, logically, I do not possess (nor have ever - thankfully) a Vista CD....nor a Windows 7 one.
I discovered something strange when accessing the system repair menu (just after booting up and before the Windows startup logo), and that is that it very strangely has an 'X' drive. And on this 'X' drive there is nothing except for Windows directory, and a file called setup.exe. I tried launching that and it appears to want to run the setup for Windows 7. I don't know how this is occurring, or what it is that I indeed seem to possess, unless this is a regular thing for anyone else going through the motions of attempting to fix their system.
I wanted to try running sfc through the command prompt there, but was told that a previous repair was in process - which is weird because I hadn't asked for it to happen in the first place. My curious nature had me typing in dir/p/w at the prompt, and there were a whole bunch of directories, but no Program Files (x86) or nothing like that, there were no programs I'd installed myself...is this some kind of setup partition I don't know about - and if it is how do I go about locating it whilst in windows normally - and...can it be copied to a CD/DVD?

#10 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:32 AM

S'funny. I could swear blind it says this is the Windows 7 part of the forum. Hence that is what I'm using.

Minor mistake You got the meaning though your operating cd.Someone else will have to help you finish this.

#11 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:55 AM

Minor mistake You got the meaning though your operating cd.Someone else will have to help you finish this.

Thanks for your assistance on this one, even if no solution was found. I do appreciate your effort.

#12 MarcusW

MarcusW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

NEW DISCOVERY.

Upon bashing my head multiple times against a brick wall in an attempt to fix this issue (for which again, any attempts to assist have been greatly appreciated) it appears that Zonealarms Free Antivirus + Firewall version: 10.2.047.000 doesn't much like working with Java.
I disabled the firewall and then went straight to Java to verify whether or not I had Java, and lo and behold, the test works.
My next issue of concern is how to go about fixing this so that Zonealarm doesn't interrupt with processes requiring the use of Java.
Does anybody know anything about this - or am I the last to know about something that's already been made public knowledge?

#13 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

Remove ZA (it has been known to caue issues unnecessarily) and just use the Windows firewall (more than adequate).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users