Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unsure of infection, would like educated opinion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 Raw Joe

Raw Joe

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:54 PM

Hello, recently I have been having a strange problem with my computer randomly having a "network cable disconnected" appear on my taskbar (using windows xp) or I simply lose all connectivity and see that I am still connected to my network supposedly but my computer stops receiving packets. I contacted my network administrator and I was told that there were no apparent issues with my computer connecting to the network and that everything seemed to be working normally and that the issue must be on my end and that "something definitely has to be in your system stopping you from getting information". It's been awhile since I've had to deal with any malware type issues and this problem was much more subtle than anything I've encountered before so I simply followed this guide

http://www.selectrealsecurity.com/malware-removal-guide

almost exactly and apart from a few nasty temporary internet files and two registry errors after all the scanning and searching (avira, hitmanpro3, and the eset online scanner) nothing that I think could have been the root of the issue was found. Earlier this week I added collusion and betterprivacy to my firefox to see if there were any malicious trackers messing with my system while I browsed but I haven't found a single red or gray dot on my collusion webs and betterprivacy has been deleting any junk data that sites might have been slipping into my system and I'm still having this issue with my network connectivity and it's starting to really bother me so I'm hoping a more experienced user or professional could let me know what is going here possibly and what can be done about this.

Thanks for reading and any input is appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:11 PM

Welcome to the forum.

Please download Farbar Service Scanner and run it on the computer with the issue.
  • Make sure the following options are checked:

• Internet Services
    • Windows Firewall
    • System Restore
    • Security Center/Action Center
    • Windows Update
    • Windows Defender
  • Press "Scan".
  • It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.
  • Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#3 Raw Joe

Raw Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:05 PM

Farbar Service Scanner Version: 27-05-2012
Ran by Rojo (administrator) on 02-06-2012 at 16:03:58
Running from "C:\Documents and Settings\Rojo\My Documents\Downloads"
Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy:
==================

System Restore:
============
Srservice Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of Srservice service is OK.
The ImagePath of Srservice service is OK.
The ServiceDll of Srservice: "C:\WINDOWS\system32\srsvc.dll".

sr Service is not running. Checking service configuration:
The start type of sr service is set to Disabled. The default start type is Boot.
The ImagePath of sr: "\SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\sr.sys".

System Restore Disabled Policy:
========================
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\SystemRestore]
"DisableSR"=DWORD:1

Security Center:
============

Windows Update:
============

Windows Autoupdate Disabled Policy:
============================

File Check:
========
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dhcpcsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\afd.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\netbt.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\tcpip.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\ipsec.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\dnsrslvr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\ipnathlp.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\netman.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\srsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\Drivers\sr.sys => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wscsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wbem\WMIsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\wuauserv.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\qmgr.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\es.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\cryptsvc.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\rpcss.dll => MD5 is legit
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe => MD5 is legit

**** End of log ****

#4 Raw Joe

Raw Joe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

I disabled system restore to delete the backups when I learned malware could hide in there, but that did nothing to assist me.

#5 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 08:20 PM

Hello, there are some services not running.. Srat a new topic titled services problem.
Please go here....Preparation Guide ,do steps 6-9.

Create a DDS log and post it in the new topic explained in step 9 which is here Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and not in this topic,thanks.
If GMER won't run (it may not on a 64 bit system) skip it and move on.
Include the Farbar log above.

Let me know if that went well.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:53 AM

Reference: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic455722.html

Now that you have properly posted a malware log topic, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a MRT Team member, nor should you ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the helper assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on, the MRT Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take a while to get a response because the MRT Team members are EXTREMELY busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have made your post and are waiting, please DO NOT make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the MRT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another MRT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

It may take several days to get a response but your log will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. I advise checking your topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users