Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Email Incompatability?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 greta

greta

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:41 PM

I'm sure it's something in the settings.......

I am sending emails to my husband who is on an Apple at work (School Network). He receives them, but cannot reply back. At home, he can access his webmail, but cannot open any attachments or send out replies.

He can send out to other non-Apple users while at work, just not me!!!!

That's his story, and he's stickin' to it (Actually, I have seen it with my own eyes and believe him. Although, it has been fun giving him a hard time about it!)

ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHAT TO CHECK FIRST?

Starting to feel estranged,
Greta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:48 AM

Couple Questions:
1. Is he always checking it in webmail or is he using another mail client too?
2. is he hitting reply and not able to type a message or is he typing a message and sending it and it is just not getting to you?
3. Is he reciving any kind of error messages?

#3 greta

greta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:50 PM

Hi Coldin Cbus.
Thanks for the reply.

1. Always webmail
2. Either reply or a new composed message is typed, sent without error message ---just never gets there.
3. No non-delivery or any other error messaging.

Again, others not on his system (any yahoo or aol....) is able to receive his messages. I have to think my settings within my computer is rejecting them somehow. But, again, he can't open attachments when he is logged on to his webmail on my computer.

Coldin Marietta.

Thanks again,
Greta

#4 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 10:14 PM

Marietta is a pretty City, I was just there just recently. :thumbsup:

Because of your response... I am thinking it is a filtering/anti-spam rule on your end then, either on your computer or your ISP. Are you running any type of anti-spam product? If not, then it may be an issue with your ISP's filtering rules...are you by chance using Road Runner?

Edited by ColdinCbus, 01 March 2006 - 10:15 PM.

#5 greta

greta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 08:22 AM

I am running an anti-spam through SBC. I will feel pretty stupid if that is what it is. Here I have been messing with security, ActiveX... I'm going to try that and see.

Live and Learn!
I'll let you know.

Thanks again,
greta

#6 greta

greta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:03 PM

HALF SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!

1. Took off the anti-spam.
2. Received a message from my husband! Success!

When he got home, he logged on but still could not open an attachment (pdf file)!
Error message says" INTERNET EXPLORER CANNOT DOWNLOAD x.PDF FROM MAIL.x.ORG. INTERNET EXPLORER NOT ABLE TO OPEN THIS INTERNET SITE. THE REQUESTED SITE IS EITHER UNAVAILABLE OR CANNOT BE FOUND. PLEASE TRY AGAIN LATER."

Any ideas on what I have set incorrectly?

Really pretty in Marietta today!! Still Coldin Cbus?
Greta

#7 greta

greta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 04:07 PM

ONE MORE THING...

I checked to see if the site (network) if it is a trusted root certified. It is. There is a check under all of the advanced options EXCEPT Client Authorization and Secure Email.

Don't know if that makes any difference on opening the email attachments or not.
Greta (again)

#8 ColdinCbus

ColdinCbus

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 03 March 2006 - 08:54 AM

It is real cold here today. Glad to hear you are getting it worked out. You may want to try and whitelist your husbands e-mail address in the anti-spam and see if you can get messages from him with it on.

The attachment issue may be something set up in their webmail application. They may have blocked the ability do open attachments outside of the LAN so he may need to talk to his Network Admin about that. You can try using a different browser like FireFox or Opera and see if you can open the attachment with those browsers. If you can then it is something in IE, if not then it is probably something in the config of the webmail server.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users