Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Random BSoD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 kanelan

kanelan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:01 PM

Hello,

I recently purchased a configured desktop system with no operating system pre-installed. I could not install the OS (Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit) at all.. I had 3 failed attempts before I could install the OS. And then became worse. These are the problems that I faced:
- I could not use any Browser (IE, Firefox, Chrome) - all crashed very often (~every 10 mins).
- The Windows Explorer too crashed quite often. Any external USB connected to the computer would un-mount and subsequently mount again. All this happens on a freshly installed system.
- I am using only Microsoft Security Essentials as the AV program.

To zero-in on the problem, I attempted:

- Ran MEMTEST on my system to rule out RAM-related issues. I let it run for 2 hours and there was no problem with the RAM.
- Updated all the drivers that were on my system. Crashes still persist.
- Installed BlueScreenView to read the memory dump file.
- To make sure that there was no problem with the OS, I switched to UBUNTU 12.04 64 Bit. The browser problem still remains - random crashes. I am led to believe that the crashes pertain to hardware issues.

Diagnostics from the DUMP file... The BSoD was caused in each crash due to the following drivers:

- MPFilter.sys
- NTFS.sys
- Win32k.sys

In each of these cases, the file that Windows dump file points to is: C:\Windows\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
At the moment, I am running a HDD test to ascertain if my HDD is the problem. The name of the tool is 'SeaTools'

I am let to believe that it is almost definitely due to my HDD. But I am no expert in this matter. Is there someone else who can guide me?
I am also attaching a screenshot of the BlueScreenView.

My system specs:

ASUS P8Z77-M motherboard
Intel Core i5 3.30GHz (2nd Gen)
8GB Corsair Vengence RAM (1600MHz)
ATI RADEON HD 6850 1GB
Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD (7200rpm)

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files

Edited by kanelan, 01 June 2012 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,663 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

If it was me I'd return the computer right away.

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

#3 AustrAlien

AustrAlien

Inquisitor

• BC Advisor
  • 6,772 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

Let us know the result of running both the short and long tests with SeaTools.

Edit: I just had a look at your screenshot. Three of the crashes are STOP 0x24. I think it likely you will find the problem with SeaTools in that case since this indicates a likely hard drive problem.

If the HDD is OK and passes the tests we could have a look at what might be going on.

Let's collect some more information: I'll have a look at it and help you try to resolve the problem.

:step1: Please follow the instructions: BSOD Posting Instructions: Windows 7 - Vista

(Note: When you run BSOD_Windows7_Vista_v2.64_jcgriff2_.exe, it will also run autoruns.exe ... and both need to be in the same location!)
... with one exception in the following line:
  • "4. Zip up the entire output folder + PERFMON and attach the zip file to your next post."
The BC forums will allow a total attachment size of only 512 kb (and what you need to attach will exceed this limit). Please upload the zip file to a file sharing website of your choice and and post a link to it in this thread so that we can access your uploaded zip file. I will have a look at the contained information and see if I can shed some light on your BSOD issue.

See the suggestions in the following links for recommendations on file sharing websites:
  • http://lifehacker.com/388284/best-online-file-sharing-services
  • http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/15-great-free-online-file-sharing-alternatives/
  • http://www.smashingapps.com/2008/08/28/5-best-free-file-hosting-services-to-store-your-files.html

:step2: Please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy, and post a link to it in this thread.
  • It is a convenient and accurate way of providing us with details of your computer specifications.

:step3: Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • List Installed Programs
  • Click Go.
    When the scan is finished, a text file will open in a Notepad window.
  • Copy the entire contents of the Notepad window, and paste in your reply.
    (Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.)

Edited by AustrAlien, 01 June 2012 - 10:22 PM.

AustrAlien
Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users