Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuxnet created by US and Israeli governments

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:23 PM

There is a fascinating story about how Stuxnet was written by the United States and Israeli governments as a way to hamper Iran's efforts to create nuclear weapons. This is a really interesting read and I would recommend it to anyone.

The article can be found here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 UNC61

UNC61

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:55 PM

>>>>There is a fascinating story about how Stuxnet was written by the United States and Israeli governments as a way to hamper Iran's efforts to create nuclear weapons. This is a really interesting read and I would recommend it to anyone.<<<<<

I think that the operational word is "story." One does not release classified material for the sake of anonimity. Politics, monetary gain, etc. but to tell all accurately for keeping one's name out of it - I SMELL AN ELECTION COMING ON!

Edited by UNC61, 01 June 2012 - 08:59 PM.

#3 Ted Striker

Ted Striker

• Members
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:09 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:49 PM

Great article. Although it's possible that the people who were interviewed by the author of this book lied, investigative journalists should be able to prove some of the claims, such as the claim from one source who said that the U.S. built replicas of Iran's P-1 centrifuges by using equipment obtained from Gaddafi.

In my opinion Stuxnet is a far more devious piece of malware than Flame even though Flame can do a lot more. The stealth aspect of Stuxnet combined with the way it specifically targetted Simatic WinCC Step7 software is brilliant. Can you imagine how many other pieces of malware are active yet dormant, waiting for the right time to attack?

Edited by Ted Striker, 02 June 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#4 TriggerJinxed

TriggerJinxed

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 08:31 AM

So wait, "Stuxnet" = "Skynet"? Or has that not happened yet?
I think computer viruses should count as life. I think it says something about human nature that the only form of life we have created so far is purely destructive. We've created life in our own image. ~Stephen Hawking

#5 Layback Bear

Layback Bear

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:33 AM

My bigger concern is that kind of information leaking from the N.S.C. and the White House.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users