Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MagicJack Installing on Wrong Drive

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 drshi

drshi

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:08 PM

I've been using this USB phone device for years with no problems, but suddenly it's begun installing on my main drive instead of its proper virtual drive. It now creates virtual Drive F containing some setup files, but then procedes to install everything on my main Drive C, leaving the virtual drive empty. Since it has been installing properly for years, the glitch must have something to do with my system, but I've tried everything I can think of, to no avail.
Input Appreciated,
Rob
Win XP Sp3 (front USB port, self powered)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

<<...but then procedes to install everything on my main Drive C, leaving the virtual drive empty.>>

Are you saying that you install programs to a virtual drive, rather than the C: partition?

Forgive me but I'm not understanding just what the problem might be.

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Louis

#3 drshi

drshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:42 PM

[quote name='hamluis' timestamp='1338585572' post='2717660']
<<...but then procedes to install everything on my main Drive C, leaving the virtual drive empty.>>

Are you saying that you install programs to a virtual drive, rather than the C: partition?

Forgive me but I'm not understanding just what the problem might be.

Please...Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 .

Hi Louis,

Tried to install Speccy three times; it keeps crashing. Sent report to its Support; awaiting reply.

Meanwhile, the way the MagicJack works is that you plug the device into a USB port and it installs itself -- no user interaction. It creates a new virtual drive and installs itself on that. If you remove the device, it uninstalls itself -- no need to STOP it first. Now, however, when I plug it in it installs itself on my main drive instead of its dedicated virtual drive. One of the reasons it's designed to install this way is so one does not have to lose their phone service when having to shut down all apps on the main drive to install a new program. MagicJack being on the wrong drive may also be causing Speccy's installation problem.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:12 PM

Hi -
Just to see if your HD is blocking it, please run this -
1.Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /r, and then click OK.
2.At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3.Restart the computer.
4.Chkdsk will run. Please allow about 1 hour for the scan to run and do not try to stop it. The system will reboot when finished.

#5 drshi

drshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 08:58 PM

Hi -
Just to see if your HD is blocking it, please run this -
1.Click Start, click Run, type chkdsk /r, and then click OK.
2.At the command prompt, type Y to let the disk scanner run when you restart the computer.
3.Restart the computer.
4.Chkdsk will run. Please allow about 1 hour for the scan to run and do not try to stop it. The system will reboot when finished.

Hi noknojon --

Ran it --no problems.

#6 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:23 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:09 PM

Hi again -
Thats good - It was just to check that no problems there were blocking it -
When you plug the USB drive in can you open My Computer and direct it to run from the drive you select ?
Often you can click, or right click (I forget now) to select a drive to run it from, as your problem seems to be it directs itself -

Thanks -

#7 drshi

drshi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 10:23 PM

Hi again -
Thats good - It was just to check that no problems there were blocking it -
When you plug the USB drive in can you open My Computer and direct it to run from the drive you select ?
Often you can click, or right click (I forget now) to select a drive to run it from, as your problem seems to be it directs itself -

Thanks -

Hi noknojon--

The First thing that's done when the device is plugged in is that a virtual drive (F) is created and some setup files are installed in it. I have no control over the entire process; the installation is done from the MJ Web site, so at least I know there is no file corruption involved. After the virtual drive is created, some installation files are placed in it so obviously its setup.exe is configured to install the program on the virtual drive; but something overrides it and makes it install on my main drive instead. When the installation is done, all the files have been removed from the virtual drive and when I click on it all I get is "insert disk" -- but it's just a phantom drive that disappears when I unplug the device.

On another site I found that InCD somehow screws up MJ's virtual disk installation, but I've uninstalled it from my DVD drive and the MJ problem persists. I've updated my USB drivers but then found that both my front ports wouldn't work at all -- neither MJ nor the Visioneer scanner, which led me to discover on the Visioneer site the following:

"The SiS 7001 and VIA Rev 5 or Later USB Host Controllers have received a high number of complaints concerning dropping connection to USB devices, especially to 2-way communication devices such as scanners and network through the USB." I rolled back the VIA Rev 5 update and both ports came back to life immediately.

However, my device manager still shows 4 VIA Rev 5 or later USB drivers that have no backups. I once rebuilt the Device Manager but I don't remember exactly how I did it. It was with the XP CD in the combo drive, and somehow I was able to replace existing drivers with XP's basic ones. Can you refresh me on how this is done? I'm afraid that if I start by uninstalling the VIA driver the entry will just disappear. Do I even need so many USB drivers?

All input is greatly appreciated.

Edited by drshi, 01 June 2012 - 10:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users