Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista reinstall unsigned drivers

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 12:31 PM

My son crashed a HDD on his ASUS G71GX-A1 last weekend. We replaced the crashed 320G drive with a 500G drive (both old and new drives Seagate Momentus models)

Trying to reinstall back to factory by using the restore/recovery disks he got with the system - two OS disks and a driver disk. Starting with the OS 1/1 disk, it runs about 40 minutes and does it's thing. Never asks for Disk 2/2 but does ask for the driver disk. After about an hour more, the machine shuts off. Along the way, I did notice some pops ups complaining of unsigned drivers.

Initial boot of machine after install get to the OOBE as expected. But the machine is not functional. Quick check of Device Manager shows lots of yellow "!". Turns out the drivers supplied by ASUS are unsigned, and VISTA 64 will not run unsigned drivers.

Off to the ASUS website for updated drivers... The drivers on the ASUS website are the same - they do not work either.

Booting with F8 (Advanced boot menu), there is an option to disable sign checking. Using that option, all the yellow "!" go away, but the machine is still funky. For instance, I need to toggle the radio switch on and off before it will find the wireless network. Tried a Windows Update, but that error'd out.

Attempted to find a way to permanently tell VISTA to ignore driver signing, mostly using bcdedit.exe. No joy. rebuilt BCD with 'bootrec /rebuildbcd'. Nope. The only way I can seem to get VISTA to run these drivers is booting with F8 and that is not a satisfactory solution.

The machine worked at one time with these drivers, and there seems to be no signed drivers available. What's going on here? Closest authorized ASUS repair shop is 6 states away, and am really trying to avoid the time/cost of a professional for what should be a very simple system restore to factory condition with the factory supplied recovery media.
Derfram
~~~~~~

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

http://www.techspot.com/community/topics/how-to-install-use-unsigned-drivers-in-windows-vista-7-x64.127187/

http://www.vistax64.com/drivers/9351-unsigned-drivers.html

http://www.vistax64.com/vista-general/33057-how-do-you-stop-vista-blocking-unsigned-drivers.html

Louis

#3 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Hamluis. I've seen those links and have tried almost everything in them except DSEO, or trying to sign the drivers myself. I've seen some negative reports on DSEO and am a bit hesitant to try it. It can't or shouldn't be that difficult. The old HDD was 320G, and the new one is 500G. Any chance that could make a difference?

Why would a manufacturer provide unsigned drivers for an OS that requires signed drivers?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:35 PM

<<Why would a manufacturer provide unsigned drivers for an OS that requires signed drivers?>>

I cannot answer that...but I can say that unsigned drivers are not a big deal on XP or Win 7...they work. I have no idea why Microsoft seems to think that digitally signed drivers are so important...when they build a bypass of the unsigned notification into every version of Windows. I've never thought it important, since I know that unsigned drivers work as well as those signed, as long as they are the correct drivers from the correct device manufacturer or OEM (HP, Dell, etc.).

MS Says...

This would lead me to think that MS places emphasis on signed drivers...because it thinks that system users are not smart enough to obtain drivers for the components from the proper source...which is partly true :). There are websites that offer "drivers" that may be malware...there are software programs that users employ rather than obtaining the drivers from the obvious reliable source...and I suppose that MS is trying to protect these users from themselves.

But, as I said...every version of Windows allows users to forego the "unsigned" notification, so it appears to me that someone at MS thinks this notification is a good idea while someone else (with greater clarity) decided to implement ways to ignore/bypass the notification.

<<The old HDD was 320G, and the new one is 500G. Any chance that could make a difference?>>

If you are asking whether hard drive size makes a difference to the OEM recovery procedure...I would guess not, as long as the new drive was capable of a partition at least as large as the old drive. I can't really say because I've never had an OEM system that uses recovery disks, but that just seems logical to me.

Louis

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

Believe it or not is *was* the HDD size. Apparently something to do with an outdated "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver" not recognizing the larger HDD size. Removed that new 500G drive and put in a 320G (same size as original) and system re-installation went without a hitch. For refenence, I found the solution here: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/itprovistadesktopui/thread/45c67633-0df1-483b-b387-2f4d980ff08c/
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,747 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:56 PM

Thanks for the feedback...happy computing :).

Louis

#7 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Topic Starter

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:59 PM

:thumbup2:
Derfram