Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Somebody plz explain this...like I'm a 6 yr old

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:07 AM

Host WEI in Win 7 Home Prem SP1 x64 Host:--Intel HD Graphics: Desktop perf for windows 4.3

Posted Image

On Windows 8 Release Preview Virtual Machine 32 bit Desktop perf for windows: 5.9
(VMWare Player 4)

Posted Image

Edited by Union_Thug, 01 June 2012 - 05:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:37 AM

Hi,

without researching, I would put it down to the fact that on your home machine it is scaled betwen 1.0 and 7.9 and on your VM it's scaled from 1.0 to 9.9. You can't compare the absolute number. If you rescale the VM number to the same scale as your host has (so 7.9) it will rank a 3.9 so worse than the host.

regards myrti

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:08 AM

>>>I would put it down to the fact that on your home machine it is scaled betwen 1.0 and 7.9 and on your VM it's scaled from 1.0 to 9.9.<<<

Another Homer moment from U_T....

Thanks Myrti, makes perfect sense, numbers don't lie. I wonder why the different scales--one would assume (as I did) it would be universal, but we all know what happens when you assume.
Is that something that a user can adjust to their wants/needs? Off to Teh Google to find an answer, meanwhile if anyone can provide answers/ explanations feel free to do so.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:21 AM

From what little I have read about Windows 8....it will not have Aero. Yet it shows up in your test.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 myrti

myrti

Sillyberry

• Malware Study Hall Admin
  • 33,784 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:23 AM

Hi,

I assumed the same and started out on an entirely different explanation how the different parts of your PC influenced the total rate differently before realising that there might be a simpler explanation. :wink:

If it wasn't for that I would assume (!) that what is limiting your rating on the host machine is the speed of your hard drive. RAM and CPU scoring almost 100%. For a Virtual Machine, some of the virtual hard drive is loaded into RAM, so you have lower values for CPU and RAM, but potentially higher values for Disk transfer rate which can shift. (it's not the case here) It could also be that the VM is located on a different hard drive than your host OS and that that hard drive is significantly quicker (eg SSD)...
Last but not least you are looking at two different OS, they may be using resources differently and have different requirements. It is entirely possible that (I don't know, but in my head it's possible), that Win8 is more demanding in terms of CPU/RAM, but less demanding in terms of graphics than Win7 and therefore yields better results. It's also possible that Win8 makes a better use of the inbuilt graphics chip than Win7 did and therefore yields a better result in the graphics area. The "Desktop Performance for Windows Aero" for example is still higher in Win8 than Win7 even if rescaled properly.

To make such comparisons between different OS is difficult, I would recommend either comparing Win7 & Win8 in a VM (with the same settings) or compare a Win7 VM and a Win7 host to get comparable data.

edit @buddy that would also be a good way to explain why the machine rates higher in the windows aero desktop performance than the host. It has to do far less in the test. :crazy:

regards myrti

Edited by myrti, 01 June 2012 - 06:30 AM.

is that a bird?  a plane? nooo it's the flying blueberry!

If I have been helping you and haven't replied in 2 days, feel free to shoot me a PM! Please don't send help request via PM, unless I am already helping you. Use the forums!

animinionsmalltext.gif

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#6 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

@ Myrti: Thanks for the well thought out/laid out reply, it's much appreciated :) I'll install a "7" VM & play around with it & compare/test when I get some time (right now I'm outside taking advantage of this SPECTACULAR weather & planting basil, begonias n stuff--off to get s'more :))

@buddy: My 8 VM does support Aero/transparent glass when you switch to the traditional "Desktop" ...at least I think it does.:unsure: I'll fire it up later & double check.

BTW, the 8 "Release Preview" installed in less than 15 minutes in VM using "Express" settings, IIRC the "Consumer Preview" took far longer 25-30 minutes.

#7 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:28 AM

@ Myrti: A (not so) funny thing happened to me on my way to implementing some of your suggestions...

Me not happy. :(

Edit for clarity: None of what was sugessted by anyone in this thread led to the troubles described in the "funny thing happened to me" thread. What happened was coincidental.

Edited by Union_Thug, 02 June 2012 - 04:49 PM.

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:09 PM

Posted 02 June 2012 - 07:13 AM

@buddy: My 8 VM does support Aero/transparent glass when you switch to the traditional "Desktop" ...at least I think it does.:unsure: I'll fire it up later & double check.

From what little I have read about Windows 8....it will not have Aero. Yet it shows up in your test.

Windows 8 Release Preview does have Aero - I can confirm. But what you read is right @buddy215, it'll be removed in the final release along with parts of the legacy code(like the code for the Start button).
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users