Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

N00b To Computers In General

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:21 PM

Ok so I work with this older guy. He has never had a computer and asked to buy one of my pirate computers off of me. No biggie I got a Pentium One sitting in the floor Ive been trying to sell sans OS and HDD (Its the old lady's and had many personal legal docs on it so I just burned the HDD to ensure no one could get @ them). Before you call me a heritic for doing this the HDD was less then 450 Mb in size so nothing will really fit on it anymore. So now I'm off to buy a new HDD (20 Gb I figure) and I know he's in a bind so I figured a Linux distro would work.

Now for the questions:

What is a really easy to learn Linux for someone who has never used a computer before? (I'm an FC guy but I think that might be too hard for him and I cant find an .ISO file for FC2)

Where can I find a distro that will work with a P1 and 64 Mb RAM?

and finally

WHY ME?

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rabbuk

Rabbuk

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:27 PM

My dads a comp sci teacher and he uses Red Hat fedora core. its easy to teach to begginners.
Rabbuk

[size=7]GO BEARS!

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 07:34 PM

Puppy Linux you will be up and running in 10 to 15 minutes with a Hard drive install. If you had 256mb of RAM you could be online in 5 to 8 minutes. 50mb download.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 10:30 PM

well heres my next problem

In order to install it onto this new (still to be purchased) HDD I will have to install the HDD into my current rig (Athlon64) and install it. This is due to the fact that the P1 will not boot from CD or USB (if it had ports) and I do not have another 3.5 floppy drive so creating a boot disc is out of the question.

Will this mess w/ a full install of puppy?

Posted Image

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 12:24 AM

Older computers had a feature in the BIOS call PXE. It allow you to boot from a network. You could configure it to boot to your XP box then install over the LAN.

#6 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 01 March 2006 - 06:54 PM

no lan card or modem in this computer (He doesnt want the Internet). Also I checked out puppy last night after my post it looks to be a pain to install on HDD.

Posted Image

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:13 AM

I have install many flavors of linux and this is one of the most headache free, but you should follow your instincts. I am out of ideas unless you can install a bootable floppy. Sorry.

Good luck.

#8 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2006 - 08:08 PM

Ok so heres what I did (oh its a good one too).

1)I installed FC2 on the HDD no Issues.
2)Installed HDD into the Pentium one Compac I was selling him only to a message that I needed some kind of disk to use a Unix type OS.
3)Imediatly there after I stripped it of all parts and chucked to mobo and case into the dumpster.
4)Installed HDD into my P3 aka "hackjob" computer and booted FC2
5)No Issues so far
6)Ran Kudzu and adjusted all the Hardware Profiles for the new setup
7)Delivered Computer on Saturday

Now the bad part is I have to go over to his house and install/assemble the computer when he is ready.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users