Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes on Google

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rodydog

rodydog

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:19 AM

Hi, My laptop has started freezing when I RETURN to google home page after being on other sites. When I first open google homepage it acts normally but freezes on return. I purchased Systweaks System Optimizer off sammsoft.com but that has not fixed the problem Can anyone help please Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:38 AM

I purchased Systweaks System Optimizer off sammsoft.com

I would ask for a refund, as this can always be one of your problems -

A quote left about Systweaks System Optimizer program (not mine) -

Crashed windows 7, their support is not open over the weekend so we will see how it turns out.
CPU no longer boots and deleted restore points and partitions that restore the OS.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

• Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work.

Not all registry cleaners create a full backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again.
For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.
Ed Bott's Webog: Why I don't use registry cleaners

Do I need a Registry Cleaner?

Edited by noknojon, 01 June 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:

•Flush DNS
•Report IE Proxy Settings
•Reset IE Proxy Settings
•Report FF Proxy Settings
•Reset FF Proxy Settings
•List content of Hosts
•List IP configuration
•List last 10 Event Viewer log
•List Installed Programs
•List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
•List Minidump Files

Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run.

Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.

Post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy <<=Follow These Directions

#4 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 02:54 AM

Thanks for your prompt reply My Norton Virus is telling me not to run in it, Should I just ignore that warning. PS The Norton icon on my desktop is showing 'NOT CONNECTED'

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:28 AM

Hi rodydog -
If you have a quick look around this forum, you will find these 2 items are the most often used programs to give a brief idea of your system and the errors.
You can always disable Norton while you do these scans if it is causing a problem.

As an extra, is Norton the only active Antivirus / Antimalware / Firewall that you are using ?

Thank You -

#6 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:27 AM

Hi again, Yes Norton is the only antivirus I have purchased, and am running. Will run scan and report back tomorrow
Thanks again

#7 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:48 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/3dFeWfypS0YDZ4QiTvakyFQ

#8 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 07:49 PM

Have just posted speccy results

#9 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:57 AM

Hi -
Can you please try the other scan again now -
If Norton gives any prompts about not running it, just disable Norton, or select ignore and then scan with MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.

Thank You -

#10 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:41 PM

Thanks will do and report back

#11 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:01 AM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GOGFqNmzCyRQQgktydAn6c0

Hope I have done this right ?
Thanks again

#12 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 12:31 AM

Have you tried running in safemode with networking, disabling addons or reinstalling/resetting your browser?

Tekken

#13 rodydog

rodydog
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 05:11 AM

Okay, this is what now happens. When I open up Internet explorer everything seems to work normally. I can search and go to other sites, or can open new tags and work in them. It is only when I shut down all the other tags and go back to my default home page that everything freezes. I changed my default home page from google to ninemsm and the same thing happens. When it all freezes I can logout and then login again and the cycle starts again ??????
Can anyone help please ?

#14 Chris Appleyard

Chris Appleyard

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 04 July 2012 - 08:02 PM

Lol I have no idea what happened so scan your system with MalwareBtyes.. and make sure you have a Anti Virus.. like AVG or Avast :D
but Lol.. please do not download any "Fixes for your PC" because they are most probably some crapy Virus..
Thanks
Chris

"Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world"
-Nelson Mandela

Windows 7 Home Premium | AMD Athlon II 250 Dual Core CPU | 4.0 RAM Kingston | Nvidia GT 520 | Elite Group MCP61M-M3 Motherboard | COMODO Firewall | Avast! Free | Google Chrome.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users