Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Streaming live tv

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 4on4off

4on4off

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I have been considering dumping my comcast and streaming live tv over my pc instead. I have read about a few software application that you can download for a one time fee and not have the monthly costs for a cable package.

Ofcourse I would want to make sure I have the bandwith required for the streaming.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Ive tried it-bought a cable card, software the whole deal-only to find that you can only get the free channels, they encrypt all the good ones so you can only use their equipment on them. Im using Optimum though-comcast may be different

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

If I don't reply within 24 hours of your reply, feel free to send me a pm.

#3 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

right on, thanks for the input. I was looking to save some cash and my wife wants me to move one of my pc's so I thought I would slide it to the big screen and try streaming.

I will do some more research and see what I find.

thanks again.

#4 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

Have you contacted comcast, and asked them specifically if you can do stuff like this? whether they encrypt their channels or not, and what kind of software you would need? thats where I would start.

picard5.jpg

Primary system: Motherboard: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3, Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 945, Memory: 16 gigs of Patriot G2 DDR3 1600, Video: AMD Sapphire Nitro R9 380, Storage: 1 WD 500 gig HD, 1 Hitachi 500 gig HD, and Power supply: Coolermaster 750 watt, OS: Windows 10 64 bit. 

Media Center: Motherboard: Gigabyte mp61p-S3, Processor: AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+, Memory: 6 gigs Patriot DDR2 800, Video: Gigabyte GeForce GT730, Storage: 500 gig Hitachi, PSU: Seasonic M1211 620W full modular, OS: Windows 10.

#5 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

No I haven't. So far I have just been looking at software that claims to be able to stream 3500 channels for a one time fee of like 50 bucks to install.

#6 the_patriot11

the_patriot11

High Tech Redneck

• BC Advisor
  • 6,763 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:30 PM

well, I would double check the softwares reliability (other reviews) and definetly contact comcast customer service.

picard5.jpg

#7 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,113 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:06 PM

3500 channels? For just 50 bucks? The old adage of 'if it's too good to be true' is playing in the background in my mind. I have to agree with patriot here. Do your deepest due-diligence and check it out throughly.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#8 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:13 PM

Yeah definately sounds too good to be true. The one I was looking at was satellite direct.

#9 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:39 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

I'm confused as to what you want/expect to use as a content source? Cable (comcast, Time Warner), Satellite (Dish, Direct TV), Telephone lines (U-verse), Fiber (FiOS), or perhaps just video sources from the internet such as Youtube, Hulu, Netflix, TV Network sites, etc.

Most of those require a monthly subscription. Or do you just want to stream free stuff from the internet?
Derfram
~~~~~~

#10 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:09 PM

Just been looking into steaming free stuff from the internet. Hook my pc up to my tv and watch tv over the net. satellite direct is the one I am looking at and was just wondering if anyone knew anything about it or had any experience with a different outfit. It would appear that for 50$ you can download some software to allow you to watch these programs. A one time fee.

#11 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 04:41 PM

This is from there site:

_________

SatelliteDirect™'s software technology taps into more than 3,500 TV channels worldwide right over the Internet. Now you can enjoy more channels than your cable and satellite TV combined for a one-time fee less than one month of your monthly cable bill.

You don't need a satellite dish, receiver or any other equipment to use our software. All you need is a computer and an internet connection. Simply download our software and you are ready to enjoy over 3,500 channels worldwide.

You can watch TV right from your laptop or desktop computer anytime or anywhere in the world. Or connect your computer directly to your TV set - once you are a member we will show you how!

Just seeing if anyone has tried it or heard of it.

#12 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:21 PM

Have you contacted comcast, and asked them specifically if you can do stuff like this? whether they encrypt their channels or not, and what kind of software you would need? thats where I would start.

You could also ask in the Comcast Help Forum. If you need to know how to get there let me know and I'll provide directions.

The cable tv experts *should* be able to answer your questions about Comcast and what they do.

#13 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,727 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:48 PM

4 is trying to dump Comcast and just stream from the internet.

Requiring the purchase of $50 worth of software and then no fee for content sounds very suspicious. Research that very carefully before sending money.....
Derfram
~~~~~~

#14 4on4off

4on4off
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 402 posts
  •  

Posted 04 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

From what I have been reading in regards to reviews of satellite direct it is not as great as it sounds. Some channels are not 24/7 and some have quality issues. I would think that would be expected being there are over 3500 channels you have access to.

All in all tho, I would think the one time fee of 50 bucks would still be worth it since that is all you ever pay. Obviously I would be losing all the on demand stuff I get with comcast...interesting.

#15 LOVEMYPC

LOVEMYPC

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 04:20 PM

For what it is worth,i have a site called RIPOFF REPORT that has some people that have bought into their service
and they are not happy campers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users