Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freeware MD5 & SHA-1 etc tools

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:30 PM

Is one just as good as any other? ...easier to use? More reliable/accurate...etc?

Recommendations/ comments please, thanks!

Edited by Union_Thug, 31 May 2012 - 07:31 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 07:33 PM

Here is one I use called http://www.etree.org/md5com.html - md5sum.exe it is pretty good.

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 08:24 PM

All implementations of a given hash algorithm must produce identical output. So as far as reliability and accuracy are concerned there's really no issue. A hashing app is either correct all the time or never correct at all. I, myself, have written a tool that hashes files and then does stuff with the hash. I suck at math, but there's no question that my implementation of SHA1 is correct since it produces verifiably correct results; the same is true for everyone else's implementation no matter how they implemented it.

Ease of use and special features are the differentiating factor for checksum calculators (in addition to computational speed, memory requirements, etc. but these only really enter into matters when working with large files (>100MB.)

I think that checksum apps are perfect for the context (right-click) menu in any file manager. My favorite is MD5 Context Menu and it does just what it says on the tin; no bells and whistles to get in the way. This tool, sadly, only works on 32 bit versions of Windows.

Another good one, which has replaced MD5 Context Menu for me under 64 bit Windows is HashTab. This one adds a tab to each file's Properties dialog window from which up to 15 different hashing algorithms can be run (including MD5 and SHA1) at once.

Both MD5 Context Menu and HashTab are free and respectably fast, and HashTab also has a Mac OS version. MD5 Context Menu isn't actively supported by the author anymore.

#4 Union_Thug

Union_Thug

Bleeps with the fishes...

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,355 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 01:36 AM

Thanks guys! :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users