Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple crashes on start-up, often can't open Firefox

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
13 replies to this topic

#1 jwsinclair

jwsinclair

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 04:03 PM

For at least a year now I've been having several crash reports show up right away when I start my computer. Usually at least three and no more than 10, and there's no real pattern to it (that I can tell). Some of the more common start-up crashes include:
- Userinit Logon Application
- Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager
- CD/DVD Drive Acoustic Silencer
- Host Process for Windows Services
- RealUpgrade Launcher
- Google Crash Handler
- Google Installer
- RAID Monitor
- ivihh.exe

As of today I'm taking more detailed notes on it—I'll be happy to share with anybody who wants to see them—but I'll probably never get a complete list because inevitably some of the crash reports will appear and then quickly disappear before I can make a note of what it was that crashed.

I've made some attempts to resolve this before, with no success, but for the most part I didn't worry about it because the crashes alone didn't appear to be causing any problems. But over the last few months my computer's overall performance has been getting noticeably worse, and I've been seeing signs of a much more serious problem:
- I've been getting more crash reports than I used to (though not by a huge margin).
- Often when I start my computer, after waiting a few minutes to get all the crashes out of the way and let the system more or less stabilize, I won't be able to open Firefox. I double-click the icon, the pointer turns into an hourglass for a second or two, and then nothing else happens (though when I go to my task manager there's a Firefox process running). I've stopped trying to open Chrome or IE, because typically when I have this problem with Firefox I have it with my other browsers too (although, now that I think about it, I'm not totally certain about IE, but I'm not going to try to re-create the problem right now to figure it out). When this happens all I can think to do is to restart my computer, and it used to be that one restart was usually enough, but lately it's becoming common for me to have to restart it three or four times before Firefox will finally open.
- When I do get Firefox open, it tends to run slowly, and will go through periods where it stops responding for 5-30 seconds or so, then recovers, and then stops responding again less than 30 seconds later. This cycle goes on until it either crashes fully, or I can catch it responding long enough to close some of the tabs that seem like they might be consuming a lot of resources.
- MS Word, GIMP, and various other programs I use tend to struggle too, and have started crashing more frequently. (Granted, I'm usually doing a lot of things at once so some of that is to be expected, but it's definitely worse than it should be.)
- Normally I have icons for volume and Internet connection status at the right end of the toolbar next to the clock, but as of recently the icons are only showing up about half the time (this doesn't bother me, but it seems relevant).
- Today I attempted to download anti-virus software, but for several programs (Avira and Malwarebytes, among others) I couldn't get their websites to load. I downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials, but when I double-click the mseinstall.exe file I immediately get a crash report saying "MSEInstall Package has stopped working".

I attached the GMER log, but I haven't been able to create a DDS log. When I run DDS.scr, the window with the black background opens and displays this:

As per the instructions you would have received, kindly ensure any onboard script blocking tools have been disabled for they shall interfere with DDS.
DDS is a non-invasive diagnostic tool.
-DDS makes no registry writes/changes
-DDS does not create any permanent files/folders.
This scan should not take longer then three minutes to complete.
When the scan is complete, a logfile/report shall pop open.
Post the contents of the logfile to the forum where it was requested

And that's all it does. I've let it go for as long as 20-30 minutes or so, but I see no indication that the program is actually doing anything. I found some posts in this forum where people recommended OTL as an alternative to DDS, so I tried that, but it was even less effective. I can't get it to open at all (it does the same thing I described with Firefox above—a process starts running, but nothing actually appears on the screen).

Thanks. Any help would be greatly appreciated. And please let me know if I need to clear anything up or provide more information.

Attached Files

• Attached File  ark.txt   382.57KB   3 downloads

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 06 June 2012 - 01:20 PM

Hello, Welcome to BleepingComputer.
I'm nasdaq and will be helping you.

If you can please print this topic it will make it easier for you to follow the instructions and complete all of the necessary steps.
===

Please Download
TDSSKiller.zip

>>> Double-click on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application.
  • Click on the Start Scan button and wait for the scan and disinfection process to be over.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue
    Posted Image
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue
    Posted Image
  • If you are asked to reboot the computer to complete the process, click on the Reboot Now button. A report will be automatically saved at the root of the System drive ((usually C:\) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt" (for example, C:\TDSSKiller.2.2.0_20.12.2009_15.31.43_log.txt). Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If no reboot is required, click on Report. A log file will appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file in your next reply.

Download http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.exe (aswMBR.exe) to your desktop. Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it

• Click the "Scan" button to start scan.
  • Upon completion of the scan, click Save log, and save it to your desktop. (Note - do not select any Fix at this time) <- IMPORTANT
  • Please post the contents of that log in your next reply.
There shall also be a file on your desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) folder. Please attach that zipped file in your next reply.

===

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
  • alternate download link 2
    • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
    • Double-click on Download_mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
    • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:[list]
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
  • MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan. If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue. If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
  • On the Scanner tab:
    • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
    • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
  • Back at the main Scanner screen, click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad and you may be prompted to restart your computer. (see Note below)
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply and exit MBAM.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts. Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

For complete or visual instructions on installing and running Malwarebytes Anti-Malware please read this link

Post back with the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware log once it's complete.

Please post the logs for my review.

#3 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2012 - 05:16 PM

Thanks for the response.

Here's what happened:
- I ran TDSSKiller and no threats were found, but I saved the log anyway.
- I ran aswMBR and couldn't really tell if it did anything, but I saved that log.
- I ran MBAM and 500-something threats were found, so I saved the log and clicked "Remove Selected", and almost immediately it stopped responding.
- I reopened MBAM, but couldn't find a way to remove the files from the first scan, so I did another scan and this time 100-something threats were found.
- I clicked "Remove Selected" again and this time it ran for a while and eventually a thing popped up telling me to restart my computer, so I did.
- When my computer started back up, it was just a black screen and the mouse pointer. It sounded like it was running, in that I could hear the fan making noise, but there was nothing on the screen, and nothing I could do to change that.
- I restarted several times (each time I had to hold down the power button until it cut off), and it was always the same, even when I tried to start in safe mode.
- I went to Office Depot and bought a new computer.

My old computer is, well, old, and while I was hoping to be able to fix it, it's probably not worth putting a whole lot of money or time into it. But...I'd still like to at least get it to start up, if anybody has any ideas on how I might be able to do that. I copied all my important files to an external hard drive about a week ago, but right now I can't get to anything I've saved since then (including the scan logs from just now).

#4 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 07:14 AM

Run this Rescue Disk.

PLEASE NOTE: Most authorities say that a PC with a polymorphic file infector can never again be trusted and should be reformatted. You should seriously consider reformatting and reinstalling Windows.

That said, if you wish we can attempt disinfection but you are cautioned that theoretically you can never be sure cleaning is 100% complete.

Read all these directions before proceeding.

When you have the .ISO file downloaded, you need to create a bootable disk or flash drive with it, using a clean PC to do that. The .ISO file is a disk image. It should NOT be burned as a regular file. You need a program like ImgBurn that can burn an .ISO image. I think a CD is best as there is no way anything can write on it after it is made, but the USB may be more convenient and easier.

Be sure to read these:
Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
How to record Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 to an USB device and boot my computer from it?
How to record Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10 to a CD/DVD and boot my computer from the disk?

Summarizing:
  • Go to a clean PC.
  • Download the .iso image file.
  • Create a CD (or flash drive if you prefer).
  • At the infected PC: put the disk in the drive and reboot.

Follow the directions here, but you will find some differences.

Familiarize yourself with How to create a report file in Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10?

Print the following directions:

Boot from Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10:
Restart your computer and put the disk in the drive while booting.
Press any key. A loading wizard will start (you will see the menu to select the required language). If you do not press any key in 10 seconds, the computer boots from hard drive automatically.
Select the required interface language using the arrow-keys on your keyboard.
Press the Enter key on the keyboard.
In the start up wizard window that opens, select the Kaspersky Rescue Disk. Graphic Mode
Click Enter.
Click 'A' to accept the agreement.
Select operating system from dropdown menu (select Windows whatever)
Select Objects to scan: check Disk boot sectors, Hidden startup objects, C:
Click My Update Center and update if any available
Back to other tab and click Start Object Scan.
(It took 3 hours to scan my 47G)
When scan has completed save a report:

On the upper part of the Kaspersky Rescue Disk window, click on the Report link.
On the bottom right hand corner of the Protection status - Kaspersky Rescue Disk window, click on the Detailed Report button.
On the upper right hand corner of the Detailed report window, click on the Save button.
After clicking Detailed Report and 'SAVE', a browse window opens.
Double-click on the \
Click 'disks'.
All your drives will be shown and you can easily double-click C and save the report to C:\KasperskyRescueDisk10.txt.
Click on the Save button.
The report has been saved to the file.

Remove the disk from the drive (or disconnect USB) and reboot normally.

Post the content of the file for my review.
Let me know what problem persists.

#5 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:25 AM

Thanks again. The Kaspersky Rescue Disk is running right now. I'll let you know how it goes.

This is very possibly a dumb question, but I'll ask it anyway. As I mentioned, I had already copied all my important files—mostly Word documents, rich text files, PDFs, and images—to an external hard drive. When I transfer these files over to the new computer (either from the EHD or the old computer, if I get it running again), should I be concerned about them being corrupted?

#6 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:46 PM

PDFs, and images files yes.

Make sure you scan your computer for malware after the transfer.

#7 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:08 PM

Alright, thanks.

The Kaspersky scan finished and I rebooted the computer and it's still just the black screen, like it was doing before.

I tried to upload the report, but it's 305KB, and apparently I only have 129.43KB left before I hit my quote. Any ideas on what to do there?

#8 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 08:03 AM

We Need to Diagnose Your BlueScreen (BSOD)

1. When you boot your machine, press F8 to list the startup options, exactly as you would if you were trying to enter

Safe Mode

2. Select "Disable Automatic Restart on System Failure", as shown here:

Posted Image

When your system BSODs, write down the STOP error code, as well as any written out error message back here. The STOP error will always appear, but the message may not. You are looking for this:

Posted Image

A file name might be listed too. Please report this in your next post.
===

#9 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:26 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't get to the BSOD. I followed your instructions up to the point of selecting "disable automatic restart on system failure", but after that it does the same thing it was doing before:
- it goes to the screen with the loading graphic and the words "Microsoft Corporation"
- after about five seconds the screen completely cuts off
- after another two seconds or so the screen comes back on, but it's completely black except for the mouse pointer

I also tried a system restore, which until now I didn't know I could get to during startup, but that didn't work either (that is, the restore appeared to complete successfully, but it didn't resolve the problem).

#10 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:54 AM

Your Boot sector is damaged.

Not sure if you can fix your Master Boot Record.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927392

Can you execute the first part of the instructions on the link above?

This section.
To run the Bootrec.exe tool, you must start Windows RE. To do this, follow these steps:

If you can
type the following commands at the Windows RE command prompt:
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

Follow the instructions.

Restart the computer normally.

Any success?

#11 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:07 PM

Are you still with me?

#12 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

Oh, sorry, somehow I never got an email notification about your previous post. I don't have time right now, but I'll follow those instructions later today or early tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

#13 jwsinclair

jwsinclair
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:50 AM

Is there a way to proceed without a Vista installation disc? I don't think I ever had one to begin with, but if I did, I don't know where it is.

#14 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 39,179 posts
  •  

Posted 18 June 2012 - 12:14 PM

If you did not make a restore disk the first time you started your computer you need to get hold of one.

You can contact the Manufacturer or your computer. Ask for a startup disk. The Model and the operating system will be important as they will ask for it.
Normally there is a minimal charge.

Of follow the instructions on the is page.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/windows-vista-recovery-disc-download/

This one is not free also. Decide which way you want to go.

If you need assistance to proceed with the process let me know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users