Posted 31 May 2012 - 12:09 PM
I am working on a Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E520 running Win 7 x64. I was given this computer when i got the following message "Boot Selection has failed because a required device is inaccessible". I work as a junior IT tech for a school district and this is not the first laptop I have been given with this error. The previous ones have all been fixed by either reimaging or being sent out for repairs under warranty. I don't see this to be a "fix" though. I am finally fed up with it and would like to know if anyone has further advice on how to fix this. I will give you some background on the steps I have taken to fix this issue to no avail.
1. Started by simply restarting - Still get error
2. Changed boot priority to make sure it pointed to the HDD first- still get error
3. Ran Win 7 startup repair - Failed. When checking details it said OS Loader not found (I think)
4. Ran bootrec.exe trying a few of the different choices fixMBR, fixboot, rebuildbcd - upon trying each still got boot selection error.
5. Am currently running a chkdsk to see if that will help or give me more info.
I believe those are all the steps I have taken. Lastly some other information. These computers are all domain joined. The HDD does not seem to be bad as I can plug it in USB and retrieve some of the files that I needed to get for a student. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to go from here? It is looking like a reimage is in order and if that fails (which it sometimes does fail to reimage) then it will be sent out for repairs. I would however like to avoid those two options. If there is any other information I can provide please let me know. Please be aware I am two months into an IT career so I am very new to a lot of this. Your time is greatly appreciated!