Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Given To Me/dont Know What Windows Os Is On This Computer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 TAILHAWK

TAILHAWK

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:59 PM

Hi, I kinda inherited this system and when I went to boot it I got an invalid system disk error "Boot from ATAPI CD ROM." I can get into DOS (using a utilities disk that I have). Can someone tell me how to tell how to find out what version of Windows is on this system, and what I need to do to get windows to boot. Is there anyway to get in through the back door?
My CD ROM works but, I am unsure as to whether or not one of the generic drivers will help or what. I have already downloaded a Realtek (RTL 8139(A/B/C)/RTL8130 BOOT AGENT) disk to CD but, am afraid to try this until I know that there is nothing else that I can do. (I am afraid to use this and have it screw things up even more).
The woman that gave me the computer (it was her late husband's) said that she thinks he had either ME or 2000 on it but, was not totally sure.
Any and all help will greatly help, I am pulling my hair out over these issues (and if you could see me you would know that in another 5 years or so I wont have enough left to just throw away).

Can I find out from the files in DOS which Windows system is on this computer? I got a boot problem and am trying to figure out how to repair this issue. If you can also give me a clue on what to do to create a system disk (without being able to get into this computer to do so) I would really appreciate it.

Also if worse comes to worse and I do have to format the hard drive what can I do to salvage my Microsoft Office Suites. This software was downloaded by a licensed Microsoft installer for the gentleman that this computer originally belonged to but, he never got any physical software from him and he has since passed. If I can get the office programs back buying the Windows software won't hurt as much.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 El_Tel

El_Tel

• Members
  • 196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 05:39 PM

Hi...

If you have access to Internet try Belarc from here http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html it is a free program that will tell you shed loads of info on your PC...

Regards
Posted Image

Tarrah then... Why not check my Intro

Many Thanks for taking the time out of your busy day...

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:14 PM

Have you tried Safe Mode? F8 at start up
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 TAILHAWK

TAILHAWK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:04 PM

No, I cant access the internet on that computer to be able to get to Belarc. I can get to safe mode through the utilities disk that I have but, I can't get my computer to go to safe mode by pressing the F8 key. The problem is that after going to safe mode throught the utility disk I don't know what to do from there. Is there not or would there not be a file that would give me a clue as to what version of Windows is on this machine?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:08 PM

While in Safe Mode try Start>Run>msinfo32

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

If you can see the My Computer icon in safe mode, you can right click on it, and look under the "Properties" tab, which should tell you the Windows version installed.
Hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 TAILHAWK

TAILHAWK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 08:48 PM

Ok, I really appreciate all of your help. I just tried getting back into safe mode and now I am getting I/O Error Accessing boot sector file multi (0)disk(0)fdisk(0)/BOOTSECT.DOS. I am really just about ready to try reformatting the hard drive. I just really didn't want to loose my office programs. If you think that there is just no way of handling this boot issue that I have this is what I will try to do. Not that I have any experience doing that either. What do ya think?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2006 - 09:10 PM

If that is the break point, you can download Open Office for free and do everything MS Office can do. It will even create and modify MS Office application. From Ms Office 4.5 to the current verison. It comes with the equivalent of Word, Access, Excel, Power Point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users