Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem Opening Programs...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bucksfan

Bucksfan

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 04:56 PM

Whenever I start up my computer, for the first few minutes it works fine. I can open my internet up, instant messenger, etc. But after I open it for the first time, if I x'ed out of Explorer whenever I try to get back into explorer it will not work. I will double click, the window will pop up but my homepage will not. Nothing appears in the address bar either. Stuff like this also happens with other programs. I will double click on something like AIM, the hourglass will show but nothing will ever show. Help?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 franktiii

franktiii

• Members
  • 309 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 28 February 2006 - 06:33 PM

The first thought that comes to mind, do you have up to date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs on your computer, if so do a thorough system scan.

If not I would run a HijackThis log and post it for the fine folks on the HJT team to examine and perhaps identify any problems.

For information on how to do this go to: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

There may be other causes but a virus or other malware is a strong possibility here.

#3 marooned

marooned

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:33 AM

I'd have to agree with Franktii, most likely something is eating up ram/proc time - if updating everything doesn't help try disabling non essential items in msconfig and disconnecting from the network. I've seen a lot of machines come in that won't launch a program or even throw up an error with too much starting up/too little ram.

-JJ

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 01 March 2006 - 11:22 AM

You may want to try the ap to fix IE posted by quietman7 here:

IEFix Utility.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/45610/ie-explorer-not-working/

0 user(s) are reading this topic