Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK woes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frostloh

frostloh

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 01:59 AM

My PC is running Windows XP, so I guess this is the correct section to post in. Sorry if I am mistaken.

This is how it goes.

-Yesterday, I shut the computer down without any problems.
-Today, I started the computer. I have partitions for 2 different OS on my PC [Windows XP and Windows Vista.] I selected the Windows XP OS from a menu.
-CHKDSK requested permission to check a drive. I don't remember much about that, only it contained something about NTFS and D://windows XP[or something like that]
-I agreed, and went downstairs to since it was taking a long time [was at step 2 of 3 aka validating files and stuff] I tripped over a wire by accident and disconnected the power supply of the computer.
-After reattaching the wire to the wall plug, started the PC again. This time when I hit Enter on Windows XP, it showed me a blue screen for around 0.5 seconds and the computer rebooted itself. I tried safe mode and all it's variations but everything ended the same.
-I selected Windows Vista instead, it showed me the same message about CHKDSK wanting to check the drive. I let it run. It took a looooooong time for "Replacing Invalid Security id with Default Security ID for file 1-320,000+" so I went afk.
-Came back after 2 hours, Vista had finished starting up. I restarted and switched to Windows XP. This time it finally started up.
-A lot of errors popped up, including:
- Errors for many programs [RPC Server errors were the most common]. Including the darn antivirus ( microsoft security essentials ), which spat out error code 0x8007042c
when I started it manually. Unfixed yet.
- Taskbar gone. Nothing I found on the Internet worked to restore it. [This is the most annoying issue, since I have a habit of minimizing stuff I'm not using, HELP
ASAP!]
- I can't copy and paste stuff!
-Tried System Restore but the following error message appeared: "System Restore is not able to protect your computer. Please restart your computer and then run Sytem Restore again."
-Gave up and posted on this forum for help. It's been 3 hours and nothing I could do helped, so I guess it's time to ask for some professional advice.

Edited by frostloh, 31 May 2012 - 02:10 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,866 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:31 AM

Well...if chkdsk tries to run from the boot...it's an indication of a possible hard drive problem...and (with more certainty) a problem with the file system of the O/S you are trying to boot into.

Typically...the thing to do is boot into Windows and run the chkdsk /r command on that partition.

Re your woes on your Vista install...I don't know anything about Vista...but since you received the same or a similar message re running chkdsk, I would suspect the hard drive has problems (but that's just a guess).

If it were my system, I would first run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic (available at the website of the hard drive manufacturer) before I expended any energy with trying to run chkdsk /r on either install of XP or Vista.

I like to establish whether or not the hard drive is worth any effort to resurrect the O/S installs involved...before attempting such. Hence the hard drive diagnostic.

Free Hard Drive Testing Tools - Hard Drive Diagnostics - http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/tophddiag.htm

Louis

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,602 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 31 May 2012 - 09:36 AM

Autocheck will kick in if a dirty bit is detected. It generally is not indicative of a serious hd problem. And yes, hamlius is correct - you want to run chkdsk /r on the drive because autocheck does not run with the /r switch (which really makes no sense at all, but that's the way it is).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users