Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop blocked from a specific Yahoo mail account

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

I ask this question every now and then to see if anyone else may have had this problem and solved it.
I use one particular Yahoo mail account daily on my desktop.Until a year ago I could sign in from my desk top or laptop.
About a year ago Yahoo requested that my password be change. They wanted something longer and more secure. Since then I can sign in fine from the desktop but the laptop gets the "Invalid username or password" message when I try to sign in. This happens in both IE and FF. I can sign in to a different Yahoo mail account from the laptop with no problem. It is just my main account which will not allow me to sign in from the laptop.
I thought it might have something to do with Comodo Internet security 2012 but this was just uninstalled and reinstalled due to another problem.
I even E mailed my username and password to the laptop ( using a different yahoo account) and cut and pasted to the sign in page.Still no luck
Doing internet searches I have seen this exact problem but have yet to see a solution.
Also the the "Invalid username or password" message comes up so quickly it does not seem that enough time goes by to have queried Yahoo about signing in.
Not sure what would be internal to the computer to block a password or username.
Suggestions are appreciated
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 05:23 AM

About a year ago Yahoo requested that my password be change.

I got exactly the same message in an email (twice), but I reported them to Yahoo! as Spam -
Always recheck the sender and if it is a Genuine Email, or just more Spam - There are methods with opening the Email header -
Never had another problem as I figure it was garbage -

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 01 June 2012 - 06:58 AM

Try this....sign out of the secondary Yahoo account(s) on the laptop. Clear the cache for
Firefox. Delete all cookies for Yahoo in Firefox. Delete all bookmarks for Yahoo in Firefox. Reboot Firefox.
Now enter WWW.Yahoo.com and attempt to sign in to Yahoo with the same password for the main Yahoo account as used on other computer.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:32 AM

Posted 03 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

Another typical spammer is this one - - ->>>>

This is for your own safety to avoid your account closed due to congestion in our network,you will have to CLICK HERE to verify your account immediately.

Sent from - lavincho1984@yahoo . com
CLICK HERE link leads here -
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/viewform?formkey=dDNhaFVyWmltMG9lc2pKRWpiOVI1S3c6MQ[/url]]

I just delete them -

Edited by noknojon, 03 June 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#5 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 June 2012 - 07:05 PM

Thanks noknojon and buddy215 for the responses.
I will try deleting cookies and other things mentioned this week.Been a busy weekend.
Regarding the spam emails, etc. The password change was a valid request by Yahoo at time of sign in. It was not in response to an E mail.It has been working fine since the password was changed in April 2011 as long as I am signing in with the desktop.
Part of the password is now characters ( Upper case from number line on keyboard). Do any of these cause a problem when incorporated in a password?
Thanks again for the responses.
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 PM

Posted 04 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

Part of the password is now characters ( Upper case from number line on keyboard). Do any of these cause a problem when incorporated in a password?

No, whatever characters a website accepts will not cause any problems.

The quickest, surest way of being sure all Yahoo cookies are removed is to click on Tools, Options, Privacy Tab, Exceptions and scroll down to bottom of
window and click on Remove All Sites. That will clear all cookies from Firefox.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 Nawtheasta

Nawtheasta
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

Update. July 6, 2012

Thanks for the responses. I seem to have solved the problem.
I tried what was suggested but nothing changed. In looking into this I kept seeing it mentioned to wait 24 hours after changing Yahoo password before logging in. I did not wait when I changed the password in 2011. Seems that might have been the problem.
Before changing the Yahoo password from the desktop on I exported ( copied) my contact list.Yahoo has a limited listing of where you can export to. I chose Outlook. However when I exported the contacts they came out in an Excel doc.Which was ok as I just wanted a back-up.After this I changed the password I logged out of the account.
24 hrs later I logged in on the desktop with no problem.
Before logging in with the laptop I cleared the cache,logged out of FF and ran TFC.
After restart I logged in successfully from the laptop !!!YEA!!!
It must have something to do with the way Yahoo severs handle changed passwords. I think the 24 hour wait was the key.
Thanks again!
Best Regards
Nawtheasta

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users