Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 installation stalled

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 bigcats374

bigcats374

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

Hi Staff,
I was reinstalling windows 7 after I hope that I had completed the reformatting of the C drive. The installation has stalled for over the 45 minutes now and I would like some advice on how to get this functioning again to complete the installation process.
Thanks, bigcats374

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 PM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:38 PM

While waiting for the BC Advisor/Moderator, please post the complete model/specs and issues you were having that made you decide to reinstall your Win 7. Any image or error shown?

Tekken

#3 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:42 PM

The reformatting was more because of two problems. Windows would either not load at all or when it did load, I could not get it to shut down, I figured that by reformatting to the factory settings that I could solve both issues with one solution.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:53 PM

Please post the computer model.

Windows would either not load at all or when it did load, I could not get it to shut down

Any particular changes, errors messages during the unbootable windows and during reinstalling your OS?

Tekken

#5 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:05 PM

I saw no error messages or changes during either start up or shut down. On start up either windows did load or would stall completely and not load at all. During shut down either windows would shut down normally or would stall during shut down and then restart by itself.

#6 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:08 PM

Sorry for not including the computer model ( Acer X1420G-U5832 ) Windows 7 OS factory installed and I do have a 3 dvd set of rescue disks that I made the same day I brought this computer home from the store.

#7 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:17 PM

Can you post the computer model and if its a laptop or desktop? Did you try running the hardware diagnostic for RAM module and hard drive? Some computers have this feature under the BIOS utility section.

Tekken

#8 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:21 PM

I do not know how to run the program for checking out the hardware from the BIOs. It is a desktop.

Edited by bigcats374, 30 May 2012 - 08:21 PM.

#9 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:37 PM

Is this the desktop? http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/PT.SGM02.002
The first thing I saw under hardware specs. is a 220 watts power supply which most likely does not give enough juice for your current hardware/software setup.

Tekken

#10 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

Yes that is my PC model. So what is the solution here and how do I proceed to correct it?

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:53 PM

I think you need to borrow a power supply with the a higher output wattage(400-500 Watts) as some stalling problem I've encountered were due to this low PSU output. I also suggest checking the BIOS section for features of a hard drive fitness test to check the status of the hard drive. Some stalling may also be due to faulty memory. So while waiting for another power supply, go to your BIOS(pressing the function keys for your acer desktop during first booting) and run a diagnostic test and if you have two sticks of RAM, alternately use one when reinstalling Win 7.

Tekken

#12 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

this sounds like a good idea, I have never done this before and will need more specific instructions on which keys to press at start - up and what to do after that to run this diagnostic test and what to look out for after the test is completed.

#13 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:19 PM

The hard drive test should only show a passed result on both short and long test. I am not sure what key they used on Acer computers to boot on your BIOS setup. F2, F10, Esc... Usually a screen will flash telling you what to press on first bootup. If you have memory testing feature, please use this also. But usually the swapping test if 2 sticks of RAM is available is a quicker option than memtest.

Tekken

#14 bigcats374

bigcats374
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:29 PM

The CMOS setup utility does not have this kind of testing available that I can find. I got there using the delete key on startup.
After attemting to find the test, I was able to reboot and the set-up restarted where it stalled before, time will tell if this will work out or not, Thanks for the help tonight.

Edited by bigcats374, 30 May 2012 - 09:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users