Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Lost Partitions

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 psyphy

psyphy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 08:12 AM

Hi!

Recently, I was trying to make a copy of one of my local drive partitions for backup purposes. However, while Clonezilla was running, I accidentally chose a different option than what I routinely choose for this type of backup.

So,instead of cloning the partition to an identical partition on my 500GB external HD, it deleted the partition table and created a new 20GB NTFS partition in its place, and kept the remaining 450GB unallocated ( I think it tried to mirror file structure?). I exited Clonezilla Live ASAP. No data has been copied to the new partition, so I believe no data has been lost. IS it possible to restore the original partition table/ file structure?

Originally - 500 i.e 465~ GB eHD

440 GB NTFS main partition
20 GB NTFS for backup of drive
5 GB for miscellaneous files

Now -

20 GB NTFS empty , most probably unformatted(?
Some weird corrupted small 2-3 GB partitions
450~ GB unallocated space

Can I recover the original state?

Also, if possible, can I do it w/o having to recover the files elsewhere and then copy them back? I only have a single internal HD of 120 GB, so this isn't possible right now. I'd prefer a method to restore the file structure on the eHD w/o that method.

I will provide any more info, if you ask/need it to help me out.

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 caperdog

caperdog

• BC Advisor
  • 954 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:53 PM

http://www.easeus.com/partition-recovery/

#3 psyphy

psyphy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:38 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:53 PM

Hi!

Thanks! But it only shows the present error partitions after scanning! :(
I bought their Data Recovery Wizard though, and now it shows that I can recover 90K+ files; and this is after 8hrs of scanning, with 6hrs left to go. Any ideas?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users