Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive Unrecognized

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Snadbad

Snadbad

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:35 AM

Hey all,

I recently borrowed a friend's external hard drive in order to transfer about 100 gb of video footage to my mac for editing purposes and such. About halfway through the process, my computer died and when I turned it back on, it did a fresh reboot. The hard drive was no longer recognized. I checked it on multiple different PC's and macs. Neither mount the drive though PCs make a valiant attempt to install stock Microsoft 2006 drivers. When connected to my mac under system information I see it listed as "USB High-Speed Bus" it appears that the hard drive is manufactured by ASMedia and the model is the AS2105. Furthermore, it is encased in a SilverStone USB 3.0 enclosure. When I hold my ears to the enclosure, I don't hear anything. It also gets quite hot quite quick. Is there any way to recover the actual contents of my drive? When the AS2105 is selected in system info it states that the required current is "Unknown (Device has not been configured)."

Thanks for your time, I really appreciate it!

Snad

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Larry D. Lawrence II

Larry D. Lawrence II

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 04:06 PM

It may be that just the enclosure died. my suggestion isto replace the enclosure and see if the drive can be accessed then.

Larry D. Lawrence II
MCSE, MCP,ACMT, ACTC
Dell, HP, Toshiba, Apple, Lenovo, and IBM Certified Technician

#3 Snadbad

Snadbad
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 05 June 2012 - 05:30 PM

Hey Larry, thanks for the response! I couldn't find much info on the drive so I indeed opened it up. It looks like it was actually an SSD and it's seemingly gone forever. I did manage to get the data though, it was saved on my friend's PC. Thanks for your time!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users