Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

attempting to repair an installation, but ERROR.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 29 May 2012 - 10:03 PM

what exactly is this disaster telling me? the install disc is giving the above error (setupdd.sys could not be loaded. error code 4). I've no idea what this one is.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:01 AM

This issue may occur if your computer contains a hardware component that is either damaged or is incompatible with Windows XP.
According to Microsoft this error is always hardware related, see the link

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330181
Windows XP Problems with Damaged or Incompatible Hardware
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

Setupdd.sys could not be loaded. Error code 4. = Hardware Problem. Have you had any recent hardware problems that are making you do this install ?
More information is required from your end at this point -

Have you attempted to do anything else, except install XP from a Genuine Microsoft Install CD, and is this a Re-install / Repair Install / or Fresh install ?

I was going to ask you to run a quick program, but can the problem unit operate in any way ? Safe Mode / Last known Good / or from a Sysyem restore point ?

Thank You -

#3 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:23 AM

well. this all is going on because the machine refuses to boot to windows citing NTFS.sys as missing or corrupt.

I just got it into a recovery console, adhereing to the command given about fixing the above NTFS.sys problem.... not that I'm 100% sure where to go from here.

the other thing I attempted was to make a linux liveCD to try to fix from there, but that ended in disaster as the burned disc is now treated as nonexistant by the machine that burned it. and sadly the unit being worked on doesn't look at it's USB ports untill windows is running (it's an old and ideosyncratic machine...) so I couldn't do a live USB thing even if I had a free flash drive.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:41 AM

Do you know the Maker and the Model of this computer ?

Also Desktop or laptop -

Edited by noknojon, 30 May 2012 - 01:42 AM.

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:22 AM

From Microsoft - System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys
The following file is missing or corrupt: System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys - How you replace it -

Describe your current antivirus and anti malware situation: McAfee, Norton, Spybot, AVG, Avira!, MSE, Defender, ZoneAlarm, PC Tools, Comodo, etc.

Forunately, there are several copies of the pci.sys file on your HDD in other places - You just have to boot on something to replace the missing file, then get rid of your afflicted antiwhatever software, consider something more friendly, use some different scanning software, then fix any remaining issues.

#6 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 09:55 AM

desktop. avast, mbam, spywareblaster, mvp hosts file. machine was claimed at one point to have been an emachines but came with nothing suggesting such, and from what I recall is somewhat of a mishmash of parts.

and why are you hung up on pci.sys when I've never mentioned it having a problem at all? it's NTFS.SYS that's exploded. or are you using that as a basis for where to look to try to resolve the actual problem?

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:07 AM

<<...the machine refuses to boot to windows citing NTFS.sys as missing or corrupt.>>

Try running the chkdsk /r command from the XP Reocvery Console.

Ntfs.sys missing or corrupt error message - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555531

Louis

#8 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:38 PM

okay, on the whole chkdsk angle...

round 1 hung up at 60%.
round 2 has BSODed due to PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (stop: 0x00000050 0xC0D03EE8 0x00000000 0x808194A2 0x00000000).

going for a third attempt.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,408 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 AM

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:13 PM

I'd say that a hard drive diagnostic is in order...if chkdsk indicated that it could not complete.

If chkdsk /r appears to pause...you need to let it continue. Sometimes, the command encounters problems which take more time to attempt remedying. The worse the condition of the file structure...the longer the chkdsk /r will take. It's not uncommon for the complete percentage to move back to a lower percent at times...in order to overcome whatever.

In any case...stopping chkdsk /r when there is no error message onscreen dictating such...is not normally a good thing to do.

Louis

#10 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:35 PM

spending an hour at the same percentage on a machine with a relatively small HDD comes off a touch unreasonable. at any rate, round 3 appears to be off because the machine now keeps hanging up trying to get windows setup going.

unfortunately the PLAN B option of linux is currently not going anywhere, as I tried to make a CD of a different distro and wound up with another disc that the machine which burned it won't acknowledge is even there beyond changing the drive's icon in explorer.

starting to get the feeling that this is out of my league.

#11 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:03 PM

why are you hung up on pci.sys when I've never mentioned it having a problem at all?

setupdd.sys could not be loaded. error code 4 - Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
System32\DRIVERS\pci.sys

Please read the link at Post #2 - This is the M/soft take on your problem -

hamluis is also just giving his version of how to help you -

Please post a snapshot with Speccy as this may give us a bit more to look at -
Publish a Snapshot using Speccy =<<Follow These Directions

Thank You -

Edited by noknojon, 30 May 2012 - 05:09 PM.

#12 ZT-repairseek

ZT-repairseek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 177 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:17 PM

'fraid I can't do that. it's impossible to run programs on a machine that refuses to boot into an OS, even from a liveCD (I managed to get the second linux attempt to work to some degree, but it sticks at "loading the kernel" so that's out too.)

and I still don't get your obsession with PCI.sys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users